• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fed my snake something too big???

Jupiter

Hey me again, so I fed my new snake Sir Blinky last Sunday, and decided to feed him again tonight. He's my first snake, and he ate fine last Sunday, I just put the pinky in his cage were no bedding would get on it, then left and when I came back later the pinky was gone. It was a really small one, didn't weigh it but it was the smallest one in the bag. He did great! Digested in 2 and a half days, then last night I found a nice healthy sized poop in his viv. FF to just now. I read the Munson plan, and it said to feed him a pinky approx. 2-3 grams (he's currently 8 grams) so I got a pinky that read 2g on the scale and thawed it, and as soon as I dropped it in front of the hide he was under, he came out and snatched it up and began eating. I know that it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to swallow the food item sometimes, but it seemed like he had to stretch his little mouth A LOT, I mean like 5 times it's normal size to get this thing down. And then when he did get it down (after about 4-7 minutes) he just conked down and set there half in and half out of his hide, setting perfectly still. In pretty sure my scale is accurate, it's a bit old, but it's digital and we've always used it for other stuff. I was hoping to see if the pinky was 1-1.5x wider than the widest part of his body, but never could tell with how he was only half way out of his hide. I'm really really worried it was too big, what would happen if it was too big? Would he regurg? Or die??? [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] thanks for the responses, and continued help.

If it really was too big, he would most likely regurgitate it. But I'm betting you that it was just fine. At his size, he should be able to eat pinkies no problem. It will always look like he has to stretch his mouth open really wide to get the mouse in, but that's what they're supposed to be able to do.

If it really was too big, he would most likely regurgitate it. But I'm betting you that it was just fine. At his size, he should be able to eat pinkies no problem. It will always look like he has to stretch his mouth open really wide to get the mouse in, but that's what they're supposed to be able to do.

I really hope so! And what do you think the chances of a regurg are if it was too big? I mean if it comes down to him regurging or dying, obvi I'd like to wake up to a spit up pinky, rather than a deceased snake. I hope I'm just over-worrying, what with this being the first time I've seen a snake eat and all.

Eating a pinky that was too large will NOT kill him, I promise. Generally the only time snakes die from eating something too large is when one baby snake eats another baby snake.

Sometimes you can get away with feeding a meal that's just a little bit too big and it will just take him longer to digest. It's only if he ate something that was much too large that he will regurgitate it (because it will start to rot in his stomach before it can be digested). Check on him in two or three days and I bet you will see that he digested it just fine.

And like I said earlier, I really really doubt that it was too large. Even newborn corn snakes can usually take a regular sized pinky with no problem. If he does end up regurging, which I doubt, there is a regurge protocol you can follow to get him back on track.

Eating a pinky that was too large will NOT kill him, I promise. Generally the only time snakes die from eating something too large is when one baby snake eats another baby snake.

Sometimes you can get away with feeding a meal that's just a little bit too big and it will just take him longer to digest. It's only if he ate something that was much too large that he will regurgitate it (because it will start to rot in his stomach before it can digested). Check on him in two or three days and I bet you will see that he digested it just fine.

And like I said earlier, I really really doubt that it was too large. Even newborn corn snakes can usually take a regular sized pinky with no problem. If he does end up regurging, which I doubt, there is a regurge protocol you can follow to get him back on track.

Thank you very much! I'm just gonna not bother him for the next day or two, once again, thanks a lot!! [emoji2]

Back