PDA

View Full Version : My darn amel and her new behavior. . .

My darn amel and her new behavior. . .

BloodyCats
07-01-2002, 01:19 AM
My amel has been high-strung since I brought her home 3 months ago, but I thought we were making progress. Now the last few times in the past 2 weeks I have handled her, she's decided it would be fun to musk me, and her tail-rattling happens much much more frequently. Of course, I hang on to her anyway, so she doesn't learn that musking is the answer--- eeeeeeeewwww. I thought it was fairly rare in corns. The first time was the worst because she actually had something to hit me with, but since she hasn't been fed in a week, not much comes out now (I held her right before I typed). I wash my hands before handling her and haven't changed my behavior towards her. I just wonder why she is getting less sociable instead of better. I've decided that at least one 20 minute handling a day is in order, because I really want her to be my buddy. Is there any health reasons I should be aware of that might cause this? I know the way to beat the problems is to get her familiar with handling and lessen her fear of me, make sure I don't smell like cat, etc. I imagine I am pretty scary to a little snake, so I don't really blame her, I'm just a little disappointed. Thanks for your attention.

Colleen
07-01-2002, 04:48 AM
Well my advice to situations like this is to put an unwashed item of clothing on or in her cage. It helps her get used to your smell. When did she shed last? My Amel. got really hissy just before she clouded up. Next time we'll know what is up!

Hope she comes along!

Colleen:)

Alicia
07-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Your right a daily routine of taking her out is a good idea (xcept after eating of course;) ) I'm sure the clothing idea will help too. I've never done it but it makes sense that it would work. I don't think there is anything wrong with her she just doesn't want to be held :p Keep handleing her and she will settle down.

:) Alicia