PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Size Questions!

Mouse Size Questions!

stephanieeeel
10-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Hey guys!
My baby cornsnake, Fang, is turning 4 months old next week. I feed him one pinky mouse every monday.
I was wondering if anyone knew when I should move on to fuzzy mice?
Everyone keeps saying to feed him something "twice the size of its head" but I don't really find that helpful so any advice would be appreciated!:rofl::shrugs:

Neekko
10-01-2014, 01:54 AM
If there is no visible food bulge in the stomach area, your snake is ready to move onto something larger. The maximum size is 1.5x the thickest part of the snake. Whether that would be fuzzy sized is dependent on how large your snake is. Though, one pinky once a week sounds too infrequent for one so young.

stephanieeeel
10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Okay I was thinking that too but wasn't sure maybe I'll move to every 5 days. Thank you!

Popcorn715
10-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Do you have a digital scale that weighs in grams? That's the easiest way to make sure you're feeding the right size prey IME. Our snake also came to us eating 1 pinkie a week, but once we got him weighed, we were able to move more confidently to two every 5 days and then up from there. He's just started eating small hoppers only 5 months later.

This chart (http://medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm) can give you an idea of what he should be able to handle based on weight.