PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a timid snake?

Feeding a timid snake?

mythkeeper
10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
I just got my 4-month-old okeetee a week ago, and want to feed him asap. However, he hides all day and the majority of the night curled up in a place in his hide where I can't see him. The terrarium is decked out with lots of hides and fake plants, but hes still really skittish. When he was out today, I tried gently picking him up to transfer him to a feeding container, but he fled back to his hide, terrified. The last record from the pet store of him eating was three weeks ago, so needless to day, I want to feed him right away. I'm just scared that I'll end up hurting him if I try to grab him while he's fleeing so fast. Should I just feed him in his tank for now until he gets used to being handled? And if so, where and when do I put the pinkie in, and for how long until it goes bad? Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm brand new to snakes and want to give my little guy the best life possible. :)

daddio207
10-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Go ahead and feed him in the tank. Put the pinky on a lid/plate. Feed him in the evening. Leave it in overnight.

He's acting normal..

Welcome :)

Popcorn715
10-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Go ahead and feed him in the tank. Put the pinky on a lid/plate. Feed him in the evening. Leave it in overnight.

He's acting normal..

Welcome :)
I agree. We had the same issue when we first got our snake. It was way too hard to catch him, and we were unsure about the whole thing. After two successful feedings in his tank (he'd come out and eat when we stopped watching), we all got a lot more comfortable with handling, and he's easily come out for every feeding since.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

mythkeeper
10-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Thank you so much for the quick responses :) I'm super relieved to hear it's not an uncommon issue, and I will definitely try feeding him like that tomorrow when I get home from work. You guys are awesome. :D I look forward to using this forum in the future too.

smigon
10-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Welcome! Also, wait a few days after he eats to let him digest and poop, then start handling him daily for about 15 minutes. Just open the cage, be gentle but firm and scoop him up from underneath. Once he feels the warmth of your hands and is aware that you won't drop him, he will start to chill out. By doing this regularly you will develop a bond with him where he will trust you more.

Popcorn is right, some corns just won't eat with an audience! Most of mine are fine with it, but some just sit near the mouse until I have fed everyone and left the room.

Nanci
10-05-2014, 09:14 AM
This is one of the reasons why I take the time to feed every baby I hatch in a deli cup. I put the pink in the deli cup on the scale, then take the baby out, weigh him, and set him aside to feed. By the time babies go off to their new homes, they have been handled at least every five days and know that a human is not going to harm them. I also have fun training them, on feeding day, to come to the front of their bins if I knock lightly- they catch on very quickly that that means it's feeding time.

I _do_ have a couple every year that take a while to wean off of feeding in their bins- but I keep them on paper towels for that time. And if you find you routinely have to leave the pink in overnight- boiled holds up MUCH better than raw.

The reason _i_ like to feed babies out of their bins is because then I have an opportunity to change their paper towels or spot clean their aspen. I can remove the water bowl and scrub it. It's much easier to accomplish snake housekeeping when the snake is off doing something else!