• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dog going nuts over Corns! Help!

Colleen

A month ago we got our first Corn and since then our normally good dog, has been peeing all over my house and going crazy everytime we get the snakes out. He jumped up 3 feet last night and nearly knocked me down! My husband thinks that it's because he's a Beagle. But he has never been used for hunting and he has no problem with our rats or any other animals. Now he is sitting looking at their cage panting and whining! He's driving me nuts!! Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't know what to do. He's 12yrs. old and my baby. I don't want to have to lock him up evertime we handle the snakes, which is almost every evening.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
:( Colleen

Put him on a leash outside for awhile. Won't hurt him...
maybe he's had an experience with a snake before? While outside or something?
I have beagle also, he has tried hunting, and he has no problem with the snakes. Or, you could just shut the door to a room and stay in there. Good luck!

yeah make sure you wash before and after handling the snake. SO eachother pet doesnt smell the other. If you dont wanna lock the puppy up then go to another room or go outside and sit on the poarch with the snake. Make sure when you are done playing with your snake, make sure to play with your dog bunches. He could be trying to mark his territory. Just like a jelous chile. Make sure yougive your dogs equal amounts of attention. Your dog should get use to it in a while.

Well I put him in the bedroom tonight while the snakes were out but he cried the whole time. I think he was more upset by being put away. He gets lots of love'n, he sleeps in my big bed and is generally spoiled! I'm going to try a water spray everytime he starts this, someone on the other forum suggested it.

If you think of anything else let me know. I hope he gets used to this soon!!

Colleen

well you have to keep in mind that its in a dogs nature to be curious around forign animals, or maybe he has seen them in the backyard like someone mentioned. i just let my dog tire himself out, then there isn't anything to worry about.

i want chicken i want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

I have the same problem but with my cat, she's a year old and is an indoor cat, and is a little witch. Whenever I take the girls out (my two corns) she is right there sniffing and saying hello. I put her in a seperate room, where she proceeded to run a muck and knock everything over. So I put her in the bathroom, after pulling down the shower curtain she sat and meowed over and over and over. So, what I found was, if I give her a special treat or meal (like moist food which she rarrely gets) she is then preoccupied with eating and could care less about the snakes.

Just last night I had to move my snake tank and gecko tank into the entertainment center (it has glass doors) so she wouldn't sleep ontop of them (after I read someone's post here about their snakes going into a coma because of the cat sleeping on their cage....

good luck, keep us posted

Hehe... my bearded dragon absolutely HATES snakes. :) If I have one out and am holding it, he puffs up his beard and darkens it completely.

The other day I was watching a show about snakes on the Discovery Channel, and Tyrant (the beardie) puffed his beard up at the TV too.

Back