• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stick is not eating

Ranz and stick

Hey, first of all im sorry for starting a New topic. I can imagine that this has been discussed many times before.
Its my first time on any kind of forum.
I bought my first corn snake 3 weeks ago. Since then it has eaten once.. That was more than a week ago. I've been trying to get it to eat again. But it refuses. I'll tell you how i go about feeding it.
I take a pinky with tongs and stick it a smal plastic bag.
Then i put it in Hot water.
Wait 10 minutes for it to defrost.
Then i 'brain' the pinky because thats what it took the first time to get my snake to eat.
Stick em both in a.small plastic container (in wich i bought the snake)
And leave it to eat.

So now the problem is that it's more than a week ago and it still hasn't eaten again. If i tap it on the nose with the pinky it seems more scared than hungry
I don't Really know what to do annymore. I was looking on YouTube but didn't see anny different way or trick. Except for force feeding but i think this isn't a good method to feed it. It should be able to do so on its own.

So now i've put the pinky on a small dish ontop of the heat mat in its Cage because i thought it doesn't feel secure in the plastic container.
The dish is there so it wouldn't eat the substrate..

I've ordered a thermostat because i think it Maybe got too cold in my room but the thermometer indicates about 23 during the day and 20 at night..

Im hoping it is ok..
7cd37fcd5378ee1f7b73c36500249928.jpg

This is stick's room[emoji1]
0f9cc2932c4e3931c193a85089c92fd1.jpg

Anny help will be very welcome, i love all of my animals very much and would be heartbroken if one died because i didn't care for it the correct way. ( i also have a crested gecko and a dog)

Here is a picture of stick
7033afb91108443d79a0928e0b48d297.jpg

Hope to hear from someone with more expertise on the matter

They way I thaw pinks is run tap water as hot as it will go. Put the pinky directly in the water. you don't have to worry about not touching it. It should thaw in a minute. Then cut several slits in the head and back. Then put the pink in a small container- like a small margarine cup, with air holes. Then put the snake in with the pink, and leave it alone for 30-60 minutes without hovering over him and scaring him.

Your viv is really cold for a corn snake, I am glad you are getting a UTH and thermostat. The thermostat should be set at 30°C, the gradient temp down to the cool side will end up at about 24°. This should stay the same all the time, they don't need different temps from day to night, they will choose wherever is most comfortable when they want to be there.

Also, corns use belly heat to help digestion, so the UTH set at 30° will help digest and should then be no problem from there.

One question, what is that awesome wood you have in the viv? Sort of viney and all angles!

That explains alot.. The guy who sold me the snake didn't explain it properly.. Ok i Will upgrade the heat mat. There's one in there but it isn't powerfull enough. I tried the slith in the back, but Since it's too cold i can see why it hasn't eaten yet.. This will be fixed today. I've also ordered a thermostat so additional heating switches on automatic when it gets too cold..

The wood is very awesome indeed :) got it at the reptile fair. It's the root of a plant couldn't really say witch one. So its a root, but a really solid one.

Nice find on the vines! I will check out vendors in a few weeks at the Mesa Expo, I hope to find some like yours!

Aww, what a cutie!!!

Ranz, where did you get your vines and wood?

I have been looking on the net for vines and wood, and can't find anything inexpensive. Does anyone have a good source for wood and vines that will hold heavier snakes than just babies?

Also, what is the opinion to Exo Terra Jungle Vine?

I really want to make use of the tall space in my 55 gallons and 20-29 tall tanks.

Thanks!

I'm sad to say after everything I tried, all the pinky's i defrosted and brained etc. The thermostat i bought so he would always find the right temperature.. He died after not eating since before my first post.. He was a little stupid. I gave him a mouse and when i returned after an hour.. He was dead, he tried to eat himself.. I'm very sad

The vine is good but it's very easy to create yourself Just buy rope and reptile and aquarium safe glue. Glue em up and cover em with substrate like Moss or coccopeat (Moss only terrarium safe, not from outside).. If i ever find the name of the vine i have i will post it here

Back