PDA

View Full Version : Baby Kiki still won't eat on her own

Baby Kiki still won't eat on her own

smigon
10-13-2014, 08:58 AM
The little kinked Orchid I have is still not eating on her own, but every 5 days I have been able to force feed her a pinky head, forcing it down with tongs.

She has good energy and her eyes are bright and other than not being interested in a pinky no matter what I do to prepare it, she still shies away from anything offered regardless of where it is (in viv, in deli cup, covered, uncovered, etc).

Olivia has caught a lizard for me, I am crossing my fingers that that helps.

If not and I still have to hand feed her, is the head to right piece to feed her? It is the easiest since I can stick one forcep up in the head cavity and it goes down nose first, but I am not sure what the most nutritious part of a pinky would be. We are talking 5g, her neck is 1mm (obviously stretching for the pinky) and her body 2-3mm at the widest point.

Should I look into a vitamin supplement for her?

Nanci
10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I'd keep going the way you are. I'd try leaving heads in with her overnight, though, the night before you feed her, and alternate various scents. My TERRIBLE non-feeder just ate out of the blue one day, and since that day, now he eats perfectly. It's like a switch just turns on and then they feed. We are starting to believe it might be related to reaching a certain amount of weight gain. Also, I'd keep attempting to tease feed her, too. Give her a couple opportunities before force-feeding her.

You _may_ be able to get a tiny head and shoulders down her. Also, boiled is much easier to tease/force feed.

What's happening with her weight?

smigon
10-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Her weight is fluctuating between 4-5g. This was the first time I didn't leave her in a deli cup with the pinky (which I usually cut up into 4-5 pieces for her to choose from) but I did, as usual, tease her with it. This was also the first time I didn't boil the pinky just thawed to room temp, but next time I will try to get more of a length piece with one arm down her.

I love reading success stories on non-feeders, I TOTALLY love this little wee one and talk to her all through the process, telling her how much I want her to do this and gain weight and grow up to be big and healthy, and she stares at me like she understands which makes me feel better, I really would be crushed if I lost her. I really appreciate your help, Nanci, it makes me feel like I have a really good coach!

Oh, would a little piece of deli sliced chicken maybe help for scenting? I don't have chicken broth and keep meaning to get some, but we do have lunch meat.

jcdrgnfly
10-14-2014, 02:39 PM
I've had success with a few non-feeders by 'marinating' them in a baggie with chicken liver. I can get a container of them for about $1 around here, so it's pretty cost efficient. It's not pretty to look at and gets a bit messy, but it's worked on at least 9 non-feeder babies, and a couple stubborn older snakes that had decided to 'fast' at one point or another :)

smigon
10-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Ooh, that's one that I hadn't thought of, I will give that a try in a couple of days. I know I am doing everything right, and I have decided failing this little wee peanut is NOT an option. The power of positive thinking has to help!

hypnoctopus
10-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm glad you're at least able to get something in her, even if she won't eat on her own yet.