• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some shedding advice please

Lesley1960

Hi,
Well 4days ago cloudy eyes. Sunday eyes fine. Went to work today, home this evening to Mr Ripley has shed. I am worried thought as it's in 10 seperate pieces. He's now gone in to his log to hide. There is an obvious tail complete but really difficult to identify all the pieces. First shed since I've had him. He's a big boy, but concerned that a shed in lots of pieces not good. Will try and have a good look at him tomorrow. Shall I feed tomorrow? It's over 2 weeks since last feed. He's 7 yrs old and seems to know the score!!!

Been having trouble with temps. But have it pretty consistent now at 26 warm end. Last night after shed he was on his heat mat for a while then later back to cool end. I'm going to feed a bit later and will try and have a good look at him. Humidity is at 62%.

If anything you could try to damp a towel with warm water and have him slide through it a few times to see if anything comes off. Hope this helps :)

Corns so far: .2 Amara (butter) and Luna (phantom)

I've only had him a month. I've adopted him. He's 7 years old, an excellent feeder, good nature, but I'm still learning loads about him and corns in general. My first snake. I fed him yesterday and he seems fine , but as he hides in his log a lot of the time or his other hides, until I get him out I can't see if there's any bits of skin left on him. Now I've fed him I will leave him, but planning to get him out tomorrow evening / Saturday. His new heat mat and thermostat have arrived, so hoping to get that all done over weekend.

As soon as you notice that he's shed, get him out and inspect him from tip to tail for any remaining shed, it will be noticeable and you can use a damp wash cloth to help remove any left over.

Your humidity seems fine, I had one bad shed on an older rescue snake when I first got him, maybe just the transition caused the bad shed.

A good habit to get into is to weigh and inspect him right before you feed him. I track all of my kiddos' weights, what they ate (or refused), when in blue, when they shed, and anything notable. There are some programs to put this info in your computer, I am a writer and have everything in notebooks. It is also fun to look back at where they were when I got them be it a baby or an older rescue and how they changed. Since this is your FIRST corn it will be interesting to compare his info from now to the other ones that you get down the road. Oh yes, there will be others!!! NO one can have just one!

I got my first one in March, she was meant to be my ONLY one, now I have 3 and getting another on the weekend haha, I can't get enough of them;)

I understand where you're all coming from about one not being enough!! I said that about having one cat and I've got 4 !!! I just adore animals and would have a zoo if I could!!
Well mr Ripley looks fine . No shed left on him at all.
Just another question after feeding about how long normally before pooping? This is only my second feed and it's into the fifth day and no poop. The first feed he pooped 2 days later.
Thanks all for replies.

Two days after feeding is a good time range for digestion and pooping.

Here is a good guide to feeding, don't worry about when he poops (unless there is a reason to be concerned) most of us go by date of last feed and if they are in blue. Munson Plan

This is also where weighing is helpful, but if your kiddo is 7 years old I don't think there is much guess work needed!

Thanks. Pleased to report just pooped. Cleaned up and had a great handling session with him. It's the longest I've had him out and it was great. Getting to know each other. Definitely no shed left. I examined every inch of him !! Both of us really happy

Back