PDA

View Full Version : Boa Constrictor Values

Boa Constrictor Values

Spitfire
08-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Right now I keep snakes as pets, but I have a question concerning keeping them as investments. If I were to purchase a boa that was 100% het. for anery. ivory (currently 20", a little over a year old, and female) for $300, how much would this snake be worth in 2 years? 5 years? 10 Years? Also how much do you thing feeding would cost, because these things grow to be extremely large and I've heard they eat rabbits which don't come too cheap. If anyone has the time, could someone answer the same question regarding a female boa, 100% het. for pastel albino? (Current cost is $1100)

CAV
08-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Spitfire,

First of all, how ya been? Now on to the question. Here are a few thinks to think about:

1) What is the "investment potential" of a living creature? They are not liquid objects such as cash. Not just everyone will want to acquire a 8' snake. As such, they may not be easily bought or sold.

2) Regardless of husbandry, genetics, and just plain luck all living creatures will eventually die. That means they can go from priceless to worthless with a single heartbeat.

3) "If you can't see it, it doesn't exist." Hets are gambles. All you have to go off of that an animal is in fact "het" is the seller's word. Without a well-established name and/or reputation to back-up your sale, it would be extremely difficult for you as an unknown individual to ever reclaim that initial cash investment at a later date.

4) A rare morph today will rapidly decline in value as that morph becomes more common in the future.

5) Like a gelded Derby winner, a specimen is worth much less if it can't reproduce offspring. How will you guarantee the animal's fertility later on?

Just some things to think about.........

Spitfire
08-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Yea, I guess I hadn't thought about those things. I guess it was just a sudden thought. Probably a bad idea anyways. Thanks for the advice though.

hurricanecorn
08-17-2004, 09:52 PM
spitfire, maybe you should consider collecting baseball cards...

RR

hurricanecorn
08-17-2004, 10:00 PM
oh! your 13!! now I feel like a dick, let me try to be a little less (dicklike) is that a word? (dicklike)?? anyway, hey kiddo snakes would be a bad investment, however if you became a breeder you could try to breed a new morph which then you could market and make some dough, however this could take a long, long time if it ever even happens.
RR