PDA

View Full Version : considered a regurge?

considered a regurge?

collard_ghost
08-11-2004, 07:04 PM
I started feeding my corn last night and didn't pay too much attention to him... i thought he was done eatig (moving around bin looking to get out) so i opend the top to put him back inthe aquarium and i noticed he started to eat the mouse but when he got to the front paws he decided to spit it back out. He's never done this before and he's always been a pretty good eater and i beleive he decided against finishing the mouse because of 1- there was a lightning storm outside and he a wuss and might have been spooked or 2- i walked a few times past his bin to get crickets for my lizard and mantis and the might have disturbed him...
my question is should i consider this a regurge and wait the 10 days before trying to feed him again or just wait a couple of days to relax him. unless i'm mistaken the regurge rule is there so the snake can build up the lost stomach acids and mine never made it that far in.

any advice would be appreciated.
thnx

Susan
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't consider it a regurg. Like you thought, something didn't seem right to him. Just wait a couple of days and try again.

DAND
08-12-2004, 05:25 AM
I agree with Susan. It seems like it was just too busy around him and he was disturbed too much to eat.

CAV
08-12-2004, 10:58 AM
I only worry about the unknown regurges. If the food wasn't even swallowed, chances are it was just too big or the snake was spooked and instinct took over. A snake with a full belly is an easy mark for predators.

collard_ghost
08-13-2004, 08:53 PM
this happened las tuesday and tonight i tried to feed him againbut he didn't want anything to do with the mouse... many times (maybe 10), he advanced on the mouse doing a semi-strike position then he would flicker his tongue and turn away. after about 5-10 minutes of simulating a live mouse (using tongs and jiggling the mouse) igave up and decided to leave the mouse in the feed-tank alone with him. i come back 30 minutes later and find him just crawling over the mouse as if it were a rock. i've given up for tonight and will try again next week when feeding both my snakes. i'll try to feed a hopper instead of an adult. if he doesn't eat the hopper then i'll resort to cutting it open.
any other suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks

CAV
08-13-2004, 09:25 PM
I've found that placing the feeding container in a dark area (such as inside a cabinet or a closet) and leaving it overnight with the food item works well. Success rate is ~75%.

Some snakes just get distracted when you watch them eat.

collard_ghost
08-14-2004, 01:24 AM
he never did before and the room is pretty dark, i always feed around 8:00 pm and it's always kinda dark. He's always been a fussy eater (needs to be shown food and it be sometimes bonked on his nose a couple of times) but never refused food unless he was in shed.

Susan
08-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Don't panic yet. Just about every corn refuses the occasional meal at some point or another. If your snake has been a good eater up to now, it may just simply not be hungry right now. Wait until the next scheduled feeding and try again, but still don't panic if it still refuses.