PDA

View Full Version : Slow Digestion / Problems?

Slow Digestion / Problems?

Inarmo
11-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi all, my first post so just thought I'd introduce myself! I have an Anerythristic Corn Snake called Joey, he's about 4ft long roughly and about 14 years old!

Roughly 6 weeks ago he was fed and took the mouse fine as per usual, however I came home after a week (I work away from home, my fiancé looks after him inbetween) he still hadn't digested the mouse and still looked quite swollen, this was very unusual for him he normally only takes a couple of days. I bathed him and he pooped as per and a couple of days - a week after that he was back to normal

I have now fed him last week (just to say he gets fed normally every week and a half to two weeks - extra large mouse) and 6 days later he is still extremely bloated leaving me very concerned as this is quite new behaviour for him. He's now due a shed (eyes blue) and therefore I don't particularly want to move him to bath him incase it is digestive troubles. He has had a mouse in between these events which didn't cause any issues, however this latest one has.

Any thoughts of what I can do, is he just getting old and taking his time now?
He does seem happy enough when he moves but I just worry about him.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Nanci
11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
He's getting fed a huge amount. My adult males get a medium or small adult mouse every two to three weeks. I would hope for the best, wait till he sheds, and then feed smaller prey.

Inarmo
11-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Just to say extra large is just the way the shops sell them, it is just your standard adult mouse which he eats without any major problems

When he is being normal and not taking quite so long to digest he is still out hunting for at least 4-5 days before he's fed again

Thanks for your advice, still seems odd that his behaviour has changed so much after 14 years?

Nanci
11-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Going blue can slow it down...Otherwise, I don't know the answer.

Inarmo
11-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Many thanks for your help Nancy, seen as its happened before when not due a shed I don't think it's down to that, anyone else with any ideas?

HVani
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I would wait till after he sheds then see if he's looking better. They seem to hold in poops until they shed.

A picture would help.

Inarmo
11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
I'll get a good picture when I can without disturbing him, possibly after his shed, keep the feedback coming, thanks

Inarmo
11-15-2014, 11:39 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/matt_simpson3/628f5ed7-8046-4ffe-9060-b0bac4a57d86_zps9b225262.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/matt_simpson3/media/628f5ed7-8046-4ffe-9060-b0bac4a57d86_zps9b225262.jpg.html)

You can see the swollen part of him that is concerning me there but again until he's shed I don't want to disturb him much

A little update, his size doesn't appear to have gone down a day later however he is still very mobile, moving in between his two hides a few times a day before settling again, he doesn't seem distressed at all but I just worry