PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problems

Feeding problems

Kaliana
11-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I just got my beautiful corn snake. I have had her almost two weeks. The handler at the pet store said she was eating small mice twice a week. I've bought her a couple of mice since then but she isn't interested in them at all. She is about 2 ft long and is used to being handled daily. I've tried leaving her alone with the prey for a couple hrs covering her enclosure everything I can think of... All of her habitat conditions are where they are supposed to be..... I don't know what else to do please help

Chip
11-22-2014, 04:45 PM
What are you using for a heat source? What are your temperatures on the warm and cool zone and what kind of thermometer are you using to measure? Are you feeding thawed mice? Finally, do you have a kitchen scale or anything you can weigh the animal with? We can surely get to the bottom of this, 90+% of the time, a snake on a feeding strike is either cold, or has been cooled recently. It isn't a tiny baby, so can go without food for quite some time.

Kaliana
11-22-2014, 05:44 PM
When I first got her was a heat lamp. Then I got an under tank heat source it stays about 75 on the warm side and about 70-72 on the cool side.

Kaliana
11-22-2014, 05:47 PM
She has always eaten live mice. That's what they Fed her so I didn't wanna change that on top of her environment. They said she may not eat the first week due to environment change. But it's been two weeks and I think it's just a drastic change to go from eating twice a week to not eating for almost two weeks

Todd120
11-22-2014, 06:37 PM
You need to heat the warm side to around 85.

Kaliana
11-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Ok I'll try that and see if that works.

smigon
11-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Set your thermostat to 87° and this will make the top of the aspen around 85°. 75° is where the cool end should be.

Glad to see you ditched the lamp.

What is her weight? At 2' she should be eating one regular mouse a week, not two.

I would wait a week before feeding again, but please try F/T instead of live. It is much more humane for the mouse and prevents your snake from being bitten and scratched during the fight.

If you answer all of Chip's questions we can solve this!