PDA

View Full Version : Corn snake hasn't eaten for nearly 7 months!!!

Corn snake hasn't eaten for nearly 7 months!!!

Cyberhog
08-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi,

We have a snow corn - he's fully gown and we've had him for about 5 years. He regularly stops eating from about the end of December to March each year - so we are not normally worried, but he hasn't eaten for about 7 months now. He just sniffs at the mice and then ignores them.

He looks pretty healthy still, but I just dont know what is left to try.

We normally feed him 1-2 mice every week to 2 weeks - he's never been overfed.

I've tried chicks, fuzzies, baby rats, different coloured mice and agitating them in front of him - but all to no avail. He doesnt show any other symptons of illness and has shed succesfully three times over this period with no problems at all, but he just will not eat.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

CAV
08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
1) Have there been any environmental changes such as lighting, temps, geographic, ect?

2) Can you descibe a normal feeding routine (location, time of day/night, ect)?

3) Do you have a knowledgeable herp vet that can give a check-up?

MegF.
08-13-2004, 12:24 AM
I think someone posted on here about his corn that would go off his feed for 7-8 months at a time, usually starting around breeding season. Aside from getting a vet check, if he seems healthy and not thin, I wouldn't worry just yet. Seems weird though.

Krenna
08-13-2004, 12:35 AM
If the snake is over weight that is why it may have not eaten in so long, but it sounds like a parisite in its system and should be brought to a vet. Some parisites will deter snakes from eating.

hazysnake
08-13-2004, 07:47 AM
I was with my gf when she went to her herp vet for her pet corn snake Shermy's forced feeding and the vet found from a stool sample (Shermy apparently went while at the vet.) signs that Shermy may have the Cryptosporidia serpens parasitie. The vet says that this parasite may be a cause of Shermy's anorexia. He also said there is no real cure for this particular parasite. My gf did an Internet search and learned that this parasite is not transmissible to humans.

CAV
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
If the snake wasn't regurging, chances are it wasn't Crypto.

Kel
08-13-2004, 03:13 PM
One of mine went without feeding for 7 months after I moved house. He only started to worry me in the last three weeks of that period, when he lost weight. Has yours lost a significant amount of weight? Luckily, hand feeding with tongs sorted mine out.

I have to say, from what I've heard of Crypto on various message boards, I doubt that a snake could survive for 7 months if it was infected. The symptoms reported sound much worse than just loss of appetite, including serious weight loss & frequently, an abnormal swelling of the stomach. I think you should ask your vet to confirm his diagnosis by sending a stool sample for formal analysis.

In the meantime, you should stay clear of other reptiles as a precaution - Crypto is very easily spread.

The very best of luck to you. I sincerely hope it's just an "off" period for him. Keep us posted.

Krenna
08-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Just for argument sake I never stated it was Cryptosporidia serpens parasitie. I just said it maybe a parisite issue.

Kel
08-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Sorry if I went astray - I lost track of who'd posted what back there!

WAS1
08-14-2004, 03:47 PM
The fact your corn sniffs at the mouse shows some interest.
Do you feed Live or F/T.?
My Corn goes off its food for several months each year.
I feed F/T, and find that by warming up the mouse and braining it the snake can`t resist.
You may have already tried this, if not give it a go.

Missy
08-15-2004, 08:59 AM
WAS1~ when you say warming up the mouse, you dont mean heating it up in a microwave or something do you?
do not feed your snake a eated up mouse, your cooking the mosue that way, even if its oly a little bit but it is not good for the snake.

WAS1
08-15-2004, 09:58 AM
No dont put the mouse in the microwave.
Put it in a plastic bag and leave it 10 mins in a cup of fairly warm water.
This will bring it up to the temp. of a live mouse and make it more appealing to the snake. Also making an incision in the mouses head, makes the smell stronger.
It may not work but its always worked well for me.

Missy
08-15-2004, 10:21 AM
oh no, thats fine WAS1. i do the same thing. works well for me too. :-)

Jicin
08-15-2004, 10:37 AM
I wiggle it in front of them. If i just leave it there they smell it a bit but otherwise won't show interest. If i wiggle it, especially moving away from them there getting snappy. Expecially Kira (see profile pic) who snatches right out of my hand like a dog :D

Cyberhog
08-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

Many thanks for all the help and good advice, sorry for not replying earlier, but I was having him checked out.

We noticed a swelling near his anal region - thought it was probably compaction so we bathed him for a couple of days in hot water, as advised, but it didnt shift.

Anyway, we took him to the vet this morning and he said he'd keep him to do some tests and it was probably an abscess, the vet said he may need to open him up.

Just got a call from the vet to say that he had operated and it was in fact a tumour that had already produced secondaries in his liver, so he put him down.

Shame, as he was such a friendly and pretty snake, but at least he was put down beofre he showed any obvious signs of distress.

Thanks again everyone.

Cindy
08-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear that mate... but you did the right thing, It is still very sad though... x

MegF.
08-18-2004, 12:16 AM
So sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a friend like that....

Kel
08-18-2004, 07:46 AM
So sorry to hear about that. At least you know that he didn't suffer and you did your best for him.

Bekah
08-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, but at the same time I am VERY glad that you were smart enough to take the snake to a vet and get it diagnosed.

So many people with pets (not just snakes) go on forums and ask well, my dog won't eat, or my cat's stomach is distended and it aggrivates me to know end. Would they treat their child like this (some probably would). To me, if there is a health concern that is serious enough the only safe, reliable way is to go to a vet! Kudos to you for doing so!

Even though you lost a friend, and probably a much loved part of your family, and least you can be at peace in knowing YOU did the right thing!

Missy
08-19-2004, 04:31 PM
aww im so sorry to hear this
reminds me of my ultimate darling, missy, it all started the exact same as you, she had a bulge by her vent, she hadnt eaten for 5 months, they said she was constipated, in the end vet operated as bathing wasnt helping and they found a growth on her kidney which was blocking her bowels. anyway, it turned into a tumor, then gaut then kidney failure. had to have her put to sleep 21st july this year. tis such a shame but you certainly did the right thing, i regret not having her to sleep sooner. good thing they caught it before he really suffered, ay? well missy is still with me just not in the form i'd like her to be, yours will too.
you will see him again at Rainbow Bridge, i truly believe that.
:-)

Skye
08-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Cyberhog,

I am very sorry. As you say, it is good to have found the tumour before your snake started exhibiting signs of distress.

All the best, Skye