PDA

View Full Version : warm feeding container

warm feeding container

crzymom2grl2by
11-30-2014, 10:52 PM
I feed my babies in a separate plastic container, it's like a storage container. Is it necessary to have UTH on it as well? I have an extra now that Flame passed that is stuck on a ceramic tile that I could use if I had to. Just need to know because tomorrow is feeding day for Slytherin, it will only be her second ever meal. So I want to do the best by her that I can. My other babies do fine without heating as they start to eat usually right away.

Shirl
11-30-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't. I use a small tupperware for my girl and she's not in there long enough to require any heat....but she's a fast eater :)

hypnoctopus
12-01-2014, 12:55 AM
No, you don't need supplemental heat for the feeding container, as long as they go back in their enclosures with appropriate heat after eating.

crzymom2grl2by
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Thank you, she's in there now, been going on 2.5hrs and hasn't touched it, it's just 1/3 of a pinkie as she's so small. Guess I'll try again in a couple days. She did gain a gram though, she's up to 6g.

hypnoctopus
12-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Has she eaten for you before? How are you thawing the pinkie? I would put her in her little feeding container (like a deli cup) for half an hour in a dark quiet place before you feed her, then thaw the pinky in hot water, then pour boiling water over it. Drop it in the container with her and just leave her alone with it in the dark for at least an hour.

And yes, definitely wait at least a few days before you try again.

crzymom2grl2by
12-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I just read this after putting her in her feeding container, which is probably too big. I cut a pinkie in half lengthwise and poured boiling water over it, left it for half hour, she didn't touch it so I just thawed one in the bag in hot water for 15min and put it in with a towel over the top in a dark room. I only tried again because she was actually out climbing around and she's never ever been out since I had her where I've seen her so I thought she might be hunting. I will leave her for a couple hours and then try again some other day in a small container.

Do I need to drill holes in the small container for breathing? I don't have any deli cups but do have small rubbermaid containers.

hypnoctopus
12-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes, I would put some small holes in the container. I find using a soldering gun is much easier than drilling.

Nanci
12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
A perfect size feeding container would be a small margerine cup or yogurt cup with a lid.

crzymom2grl2by
12-03-2014, 03:39 PM
I used a rubbermaid, it's probably about 1c. in size. Drilled holes but still didn't eat.

Chip
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
For hatchling, deli cups are perfect, and can be left in the enclosure so they stay warm enough.

Nanci
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Well, give her about three days, at least, between attempts. I know it's hard, when you're worried about eating. But she ate once- so she should eat again.

crzymom2grl2by
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Ok, so I'll try again Friday. Do you think maybe I should just try thawing instead of boiling? And is it ok to cut the pinkie in half lengthwise since she's too skinny to eat a whole one?

Nanci
12-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Tell me how much she weighs again?

And I would feed exactly what she ate the last time, in terms of how you prepared it.

crzymom2grl2by
12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
she is between six and seven grams.

Nanci
12-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Do you have access to day old mice (reds) or do you have to make do with pinks from a pet store?

I'm caring for 6 and 7 gram babies right now, and they easily eat day old reds. You want a meal similar to the size of a small Jelly Belly. Lengthwise is fine if your pinks are regular size. Some people feed just heads, too.

crzymom2grl2by
12-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Actually the one and only time she ate was a pinky head. I bought 100 pinkies so that is what I'm doing. I just thought that maybe lengthwise cut would be more food and easier to get down. Since she's not eating often I'd like to get as much nutrition as possible in her when she does finally eat.

HVani
12-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Don't over do it. Just keep feeding her heads for a few feeds. Like Nanci said, do everything the same way you did it last time. If she eats too much at once you risk a regurge which would be really bad at this point.