PDA

View Full Version : Baby snake might not be eating/sleeps a lot

Baby snake might not be eating/sleeps a lot

animalsrdbomb
12-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Hello all,

I am a newby corn snake owner who just got a cute little guy this past Friday. I read through a lot of different posts on caring for them, and potential problems... however I still have a concern that I wanted to try asking.

My first concern is his activity level. I understand that corn snakes are nocturnal, and are mostly active at night. However I always have trouble sleeping, and because I am usually up most of the night, I am able to observe the snake and see how he does. So far he hardly has been moving, and stays in the same spot all day and what seems to also be all night! I know that the first week could be stressfull for them, so I haven't been holding him that often yet. However, is it normal for them to barely move, even at night?

Also (and I will try again after a week), I did try to feed him a thawed pinky on Monday (3 days after I got him). I put him in a separate cage with the pinky inside... but he seemed to get so nervous, and appeared to be even scared of the mouse! After I went through different posts on this forum, I now understand that you should also wait a week before feeding. But I am just concerned whether or not he will always get this nervous when I move him to a different cage to eat, and if so, if it's better to leave the pinky in his original cage?

Some info: He is in a 5 gallon tank, has aspen shaving as the bedding, two hides, and it's with an under tank heater. I was told not to use overhead light or heating since it can cause them harm. I put some moss in the cage since I never know when he is about to shed... so I always want to provide proper humidity.

Please let me know what you guys think. If you need anymore info, feel free to ask and I will answer to the best as I can!

Also, if anyone could tell me the morph name of the snake, I would be really grateful!

Thanks so much!!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c94bd4771c&view=fimg&th=14a0ed5f3c37590c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_OY47QfsyjLtfZ3XxB2ZsDhBoMLVobN8ZQn_K 3g1qteses3kyKJMTjly8Gr5F9IkmjGAPszlVerpRrSyggg67IC 2qH9IAEE-2h-OLXYwb5NHajt-fgqmY34NA&ats=1417588112795&rm=14a0ed5f3c37590c&zw&sz=w1342-h523

jljones34
12-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the corn snake world i'm new to it to. Don't worry bout his activity level and thes cared sign is actually good in a way because he's doing what he's suppose to do. Give him that week to settle in unstressed to get use to his surroundings.

Then try to feed him, if he doesn't take it right away don't get nervous. I have a whiteout corn that is just now after 6 months eating in front of me. For the first 6 months and even sometimes now I have to put him in a deli cup with holes put the food in close the lid put the whole cup into the viv and cover it with a little aspen. He usually gobbles it up within a hour or 2. I've had my best results doing this at night. Good Luck and keep us updated on anything else u need

Nanci
12-03-2014, 05:55 AM
He may be blue (in shed) if he isn't moving, ever. But if so he should shed by the time you're ready to try feeding again. So you want a TINY feeding container, like a margarine cup. Feed in the evening. Heat the pink up to as hot as your tap water will go, pt him in with it, cover up the cup with a towel or something, and then don't peek for an hour.