PDA

View Full Version : Mites!!

Mites!!

Jordanmurphy10
12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi I bought a big piece of wood for one of my snake tanks cleaned it and everything but I've just noticed tiny little white things crawling all over the wood poo and around the water bowl, the snake has been in the water bowl for a few days but I thought this was because she was going into shed, how do I get rid of these and are they harmful to my snake??

Todd120
12-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Put the wood in the oven. Set it on 275, and leave it for 30 minutes or so. This will bake the bugs. The wash it with antibacterial dish soap and water.

After that, turn your cage inside out cleaning it. Use a bleach/water solution first, on everything. Then rewash it all with antibacterial soap and water. Let it air out good before putting the snake back.

Are they on him? If so, don't bake him. lol Get some mite off.

Jordanmurphy10
12-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks, and yeah I think so there floating around the water where she is

Todd120
12-09-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139269

This references someone having the same problem.

Todd120
12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
I would move the snake to a sterilite tub until she is clear. Put her on paper towels until she is cleaned up. That way you don't keep recontaminating your vivarium.

smigon
12-10-2014, 03:32 AM
Put the wood in the oven. Set it on 275, and leave it for 30 minutes or so. This will bake the bugs.

Are they on him? If so, don't bake him. Get some mite off.

This was too funny!!! Thanks for the laugh!

I agree with everything Todd says, you really need to scrub and sterilize the hell out of the viv and all the decorations and wood. The keep an eye on everything. Good luck!