PDA

View Full Version : first vet visit

first vet visit

crzymom2grl2by
12-12-2014, 10:23 PM
So I was really worried about Nagini and Slytherin and I took them to a herp vet who I used to take my iguana to over 20yrs ago. He was wonderful and only charged me $22. He gave me a feeding tube and some carnivorecare powder for Slytherin, also gave her her first feeding. So hopefully she will get enough sustinence to survive and will want to eat real food soon.
He also said that Nagini either had a trauma to her head at one point or she has a congenital defect causing the dent in her head, but the mouth issue is congenital and he said she's basically healthy. Just might not get to be very big since she's growing so slowly. I hope that's true and she lives a long healthy life cause she's my sweetie pie.

Ravenessa
12-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Awww what a sweet vet you have.. and you are such a responsible momma... <3 Im so keeping fingers crossed for these two!!

crzymom2grl2by
12-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Thank you, I had to tell my husband that he didn't charge me cause he would've been so mad at me for spending money on them.

Ravenessa
12-12-2014, 10:50 PM
men can be a little stupid... there's a reason i don't have one... lol

Nanci
12-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Glad you got them checked out. That was a very reasonable fee.

TyeW
12-13-2014, 12:43 AM
$22? Wow... My checkup and xray for one of my females was $180

TyeW
12-13-2014, 12:44 AM
P.s. It's very good of you to take it to the vet. Far too many keepers neglect this aspect

hypnoctopus
12-13-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm glad you got them to a vet and that it was so reasonably priced! Maybe having some calories in her system will help her want to eat.

insomniac101
12-13-2014, 11:07 AM
My checkup and xray for one of my females was $180

Yep, that's usually my minimum herp vet bill. I know a medical practice has a lot of overhead, but discounts are always nice! :)

Hope your girls get well!

Kathy

crzymom2grl2by
12-13-2014, 11:31 AM
This man was so kind and gentle, like an angel. It was so nice of him to show me how to tube feed. I wanted to hug him when he told me the price. I should send him a thank you card!
And it's not easy tube feeding let me just say that. I could never do it alone, had to have my daughter help with putting the food in the tube and then the water. I just don't have enough hands to hold the snake, and thread the tube down, plus then pick up the other end and put the food in it. I have no clue how he did all that. I didn't get it far enough down and some came back out, but it's a learning process, you can feel the tube going down. It's really hard getting it in her tiny mouth, but I got it. No wonder he put on magnifying glasses, I see why now, I wish I had some myself. ;)

Ravenessa
12-24-2014, 02:51 AM
I was away for a few days, how are they doing?? <3

crzymom2grl2by
12-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Well, Nagini is eating a pinkie every four days like a champ, I was feeding her every 6 days, but since she's not been gaining I decided to go more often. She was 11g when I got her and now only 12g. But she's doing good and very active.
Slytherin still hasn't eaten. I haven't tube fed for a couple days and think I will quit altogether. I moved her from her plastic container that was in the kitchen to the basement in a 5 gallon glass viv. I was able to get the temp up to mid 80s with the glass viv and she's been very active since she's been down there. I am not sure if it's the new viv or the quieter area. She loves her new vine.
I will try to feed her a boiled pinkie in a couple days inside her viv. I want to reduce the stress as much as possible so I'm not going to handle her at all til she starts eating well.
Her UTH is stuck to a ceramic tile because I got it when she was in the plastic container and I wonder if I'll ruin it if I try to remove it and stick it to her new viv. I'm kind of scared to mess with it but I don't think it's getting as warm as it would if it were actually on her viv.
My thermostats should arrive Friday, three of them. Can't wait, but I feel like I won't know how to set them up.