PDA

View Full Version : OMG, Ringworm!!!

OMG, Ringworm!!!

ArvadaLanee
12-16-2014, 08:52 AM
A week ago, I went to my Local No-kill animal shelter to volunteer. When I arrived, the man who runs it asked me if I wanted to work with the cats, because that's what I usually do, and I said sure, and went ahead and got busy cleaning litter boxes, and filling food and water dishes. About an hour and a half later, the guy came back in the cat building and casually mentioned that many of the cats had just been diagnosed with ringworm! I was a little irritated that he told me this AFTER I spent all that time in there, but I didn't want to freak out. I just said I had to go, and rushed home. When I got home, I immediately stripped, and threw all my stuff in in the washer, and then scrubbed myself with soap and water. I thought I would be fine, and that I had avoided the crisis.
WRONG! Saturday morning I noticed what I thought were a couple pimples on my chin, but Sunday morning, I looked in the mirror and knew....I have RINGWORM....all over my FACE. Well, all over my chin and neck.
The first thing I did was to smother all the spots in Apple Cider Vinegar, which hurts pretty bad, but should kill the fungus with it's high acidity. I then began treating with tea tree oil. Next, I rushed out and bought an OTC cream recommended by the pharmacist, and made a doctor's appointment. (That happens later today.)
I was so worried about my kids and my cats, and then this morning I thought, OMG! The snake! Ringworm is a fungal infection! I'm almost certain a snake would be susceptible to ringworm! I feel so terrible! I have held her a few times since I volunteered. I washed my hands, and she didn't touch my face, and I haven't touched her at all since I realized I have it, but I am still worried. What should I do? How likely is it that my snake has been infected? What signs should I watch for?
I feel just awful. I don't want anyone in my house to get this from me. I can't touch anyone, pet anyone, or even kiss my kids and boyfriend goodbye. I have removed several layers of my skin trying to treat aggressively, so I have less of a chance of spreading it, and now I look like something out of a horror movie. I am washing clothing and bedding after I use it. Are there any other precautions I can take? Has anyone else ever had to deal with ringworm? Any tips or tricks for me? This totally sucks!

Tiffycj
12-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh my, that sounds just awful!!
I have it right now *blush*. At least you know where yours came from. I'm very lucky to have it under my clothes though. Currently I have seven rings. My doctor gave me a cream to put on it, and it has been working pretty well. I've been doing the same as you. Not re-wearing clothes, washing bedding often. My boyfriend has not gotten it.

My mom had it a couple years ago and tried many tricks, but the only thing that worked was the doctor recommended cream.... Sorry! Feel better

ArvadaLanee
12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Thank you. Do you have any problems with snakes getting it? Today is the day I am supposed to feed her, and do a light cage cleaning, but now I am afraid to touch her, or her food, or her cage accessories.

Shiari
12-16-2014, 10:07 AM
In my experience, one gets ringworm by usually having 2 or 3 priming conditions: a weakened immune system, lots of moisture, sheer quantity of spores. One of my coworkers has a ringworm lesion on her arm right now; she just used some cream and covered it with a bandage. Now, that's not going to work for your neck, of course. But something to consider is that ringworm is already pretty much everywhere, rather like tetanus exists in pretty much all the dirt everywhere. Provided you don't rub your face on people, they should be okay.

As for your snake, ringworm likes warm bodies, and moist areas. Your snake, being a combination of hard scales, cold body temperature, and dry, will probably be just fine.

ArvadaLanee
12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Okay. That is a relief! I will just keep doing what I'm doing. I was just really worried about giving it to the snake. She is so small, and I would imagine it would really suck for her to get any kind of fungus.

Shiari
12-16-2014, 10:14 AM
I would call a reptile vet and double check about the ringworm though. Just for sheer paranoia's sake. If I'm totally wrong about snakes and ringworm, let us all know so that we can learn!

Tiffycj
12-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree Shiari, I wouldn't THINK that the snake would get it. Ringworm thrives on warmer, (gross but) sweatier areas for the most part. Mine are where my arm folds and under the band of my bra.
This isn't how it is all the time.

Also, I was under the impression you had to catch it from someone! Haha.

ArvadaLanee
12-16-2014, 10:32 AM
From what I read, spores from the ringworm can actually carry in the air, but just because it is in the air, dirt, sect. doesn't mean you will get it. It is most easily spread to very young, or very old people and animals, or if someone has a weakened immune system, or is under a lot of stress. I most likely got it because I was in a highly concentrated area, being in a small building with around 40 or so infected cats, all of whom I petted, and held, not knowing they had it. The problem is, 2 of my 3 cats are under a year old, and so is the snake. I did call a good exotics vet, but I am waiting on a call back. I will let you know what she says! Wish me luck. This really is just my luck. Sheesh.

Todd120
12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
I had a big one on my leg as a kid. To this day it is probably the nastiest thing Ive had.

ArvadaLanee
12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I got a call back from the vet, and she said that no, the snake cannot get ringworm, however, it can transmit ringworm from person to person, like if I were to hold her, and then the kids hold her, they could get it. I feel a lot better now. I am not so worried about her transmitting it, since everyone was already exposed through me any way. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't gonna get it herself, and become sick. Now we know! Thanks everyone for enduring my freak outs! Lol

ArvadaLanee
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Okay...now I don't know. I had called two different exotics vets yesterday, and only heard back from one, so today the second vet called and told me that yes, a corn snake CAN get ringworm. He said it would have to have a high amount of exposure, and it wasn't very likely, but it is possible. Either way, I haven't been holding her or anything, but I'm glad I got a second opinion.

insomniac101
12-17-2014, 10:56 AM
For what it's worth, I just sent an e-mail inquiry to a serologist I know who works in the University of Florida's veterinary medicine lab. Personally, I have never heard of ringworm infection in snakes because, as others have mentioned, the host environment doesn't seem like it would support fungal growth.

I will share any information that I get from her. So sorry you're going through this!

Kathy

ArvadaLanee
12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much. I am calm about it now, at least in the case of the snake. I'm still worried about the kids and the cats. I would still like to know what the serologist says though. I am just doing my best not to touch anyone in the house, which is really hard! I am a highly affectionate person, and it kills me to not be able to hold anyone! When I went to the doctor yesterday, she told me that I won't be contagious the whole time I have it. She said after about a week of treatment, I won't be able to give it to anyone anymore. I will be taking extra precautions, just in case.

crzymom2grl2by
12-17-2014, 03:45 PM
So sorry you're going through this. Wow that the man at the shelter didn't warn you right away before you started working with the cats. That's just plain irresponsible.
Hopefully you get it cleared up right away so life and affection can go back to normal for you :)

ArvadaLanee
12-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I am doing the best I can. The hard part is that to kill it quickly, you have to use things that actually burn your skin, so it makes it look even worse, and if you aren't careful, you can scar. I would still rather kill the fungus fast to keep it from spreading. If you use the cream alone, it can take a month or more! The bigger spots on my face have already peeled off and are starting to heal, so hopefully my methods are working well. I can't wait to hug my kids, and hold all my kitties and the snake!

insomniac101
12-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I just got an email response from April at U of F. (Blue text - April's response to me. Green text - Dr. Wellehan's response to April.)

FW: Ringworm infection in snakes

Childress,April L
Today at 3:43 PM

To

me

Hi Kathy,

Here is the response I received from one of our DVM’s. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

April

Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:06 PM
To: Childress,April L; Heard,Darryl J; Jacobson,Elliott R
Subject: RE: Ringworm infection in snakes

Although other members of the Onygenales are significant pathogens in snakes, there are no confirmations of any Microsporum or Trichophyton that I would consider appropriately identified, and I suspect that an anaconda report was likely a misidentified Nannizziopsis or Parananizziopsis.

Jim

From what I can interpret, though I could be wrong, is that there has been no confirmation of ringworm infection in snakes. An organism on an anaconda was likely a misdiagnosis.

So, I'm thinking your corn will be okay, and if you did transmit spores to her, she is not a good host for this particular organism. That's good, right?! :santa:

Kathy

ArvadaLanee
12-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Yes. That is good. At least one of my babies is safe from contamination! :)