PDA

View Full Version : Corn snake in blue phase for over a month!

Corn snake in blue phase for over a month!

Nipa
01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
My adult female corn snake has never had problems with eating, shedding or anything. But now, she has been "blue phase" (grey color before shedding) for over a month now. I spray her with water daily and give warm baths. Snake don't even try to get the skin off and when I did it didn't come off (even from head). She's also pretty wrinkly because of this old layer of skin on her, and doesn't want to move much. Still doesn't hide or act aggressive, though.

I've been searching all over internet if someone was having same issues with their snakes, but found none.. Might someone in here know what's wrong with my girl? Nothing is her terrarium or carin routines have changed.

Ravenessa
01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
It is the thyroid gland creating it... can it been delayed? My female was in blue, then clear, and I accidentally fed, so she hasn't shed yet either after 2 weeks in total... Maybe it is the winter time hibernation and it slowed down on her maybe?? Just thinking, the pro's are more likely to be able to answer...

Rigby & Marcy
01-05-2015, 08:34 PM
My Marcy has always been a slow shedder, but sometimes in the winter she will be blue and then clear up and take 3 or more weeks to shed. At first I thought I was imagining it but she's anery and her blueness is very obvious! I chalk it up to winter slowness. However, I have never noticed anything I would call wrinkly, she just goes clear. I would imagine that you get even less daylight this time of year, and even though I don't brumate my snakes they definitely get lazy in the winter.

Nipa
01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks for answers! Nice to hear there's no reason to panic. :D

smigon
01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Maybe it is the winter time hibernation and it slowed down on her maybe?? Just thinking, the pro's are more likely to be able to answer...

I am with you on this answer, even my biggest Bootsie has refused a meal twice these last two weeks. His scales are a bit dull, and he is hiding in his cave right now, I just keep checking to see if he shed. Not an uncommon thing for this time of year when snakes go into "brumation", not unlike bears who hibernate in the winter.