PDA

View Full Version : Need to put weight on a rescue!

Need to put weight on a rescue!

Wsmith4186
01-15-2015, 04:04 PM
In a nutshell...Monty was rescued 2 days ago after being left in the cold in front of the Petco near me. He's btwn 3.5-4 feet long and on the thin side. Other than that he's friendly and in good shape.

I've been thinking about the best plan of action for putting some weight on Monty. He is easily eating hoppers right now. How often do you reccommend that I feed him to bring him up to weight before resuming a normal feeding schedule? The hopper he ate last night barely left a tummy bump but I wanted to start him out light for his first meal with me because I don't know the last time he ate or how he'd take to eating in a new environment. I had absolutely NO problem feeding him...he gulped that mouse right down! Advice???

IowaPrairieWoman
01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
If he is eating easily, and not terribly under weight, there is no reason to hurry. At that length, I think you can feed larger mice. How much does he weigh ? Picture ?

Wsmith4186
01-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Here's a picture of Monty...

I don't know his weight and he's roughly 3 ft long (was able to get a better estimate)

smigon
01-20-2015, 06:10 AM
He is beautiful! I can't believe people who do crap like that, leaving him out in the cold. There is a special place in hell for animal abusers.

I would feed him every 6 days, gauge the size of the mouse by the lump it left the week before.

Let us know how he is doing! Was he in a viv or a box? Do you work at the Petco or were you just passing by? (STILL slapping my forehead) :headbang:

Nanci
01-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Poor, lucky guy!! I'd feed him once a week, weanlings or small adults. Can you get a weight on him?