PDA

View Full Version : Male has bits of hair missing. What's up?

Male has bits of hair missing. What's up?

Amanda E
08-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I noticed yesterday that my male is missing two small patches of hair on his lower back.

Could the female not like him and be doing this to him? Or is there some other possibility?

These 2 are the only mice in the cage and they are definitely 1.1, though I have yet to have any babies from them and it's been almost a month since I got them.

Krenna
08-16-2004, 12:43 PM
It took my mice about 2 months before the female had babies, I think alot of it is acclimation to the tank.

I would watch the male and female, sounds like either they have been fighting or the male could not be healthy. I would really watch them closely and see what happens. Normally the only time I have heard if the male and female have not gotten along is when the male was seperated from the female after she had her babies.

Also if the female is pregant and the male is seperated the male sometimes will kill the babies not thinking it's what he sired.

I suggest you watch the male, if things don't seem well with him start over with a different male.

Amanda E
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Well, they have never been apart the entire time I've had them and they sleep in the same nest. It seems weird to me that they would be fighting, but I guess I could understand it if he was bugging her to mate, but she wasn't interested or something.

About 4-5 days ago I noticed that they were running around like crazy, just not acting normal. It was right after I cleaned their cage and I'm wondering if I did too good of a job and it just didn't smell right to them. I guess that could have been the start of the problem. :shrugs: Maybe next time I clean the cage, I should leave some of their bedding behind.

Krenna
08-16-2004, 08:03 PM
I have never left the bedding behind with my cages. I have not encountered the problem your having. Even though they may mate, the female has to be in heat in order for it to be successful.

Give it time watch them, you may have to get another male. Just see what happens.