PDA

View Full Version : Head seems flat?

Head seems flat?

Lesley1960
01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi,
I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but last night when I got mr Ripley out his head seemed a different shape, like flatter but wider at the sides (jaw area). He also seemed very fast ( more than usual) .ive been taking a lot of new herbal tablets and wonder if I could be giving off a different 'smell' ? I have just looked in on him and his head still seems this different 'shape'. He didn't seem anxious or unwell. He's not in blue and he fed as normal a week ago, pooping as normal 4 days later.
I'm quite worried so would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

insomniac101
01-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Unless he has some sort of injury, I would think he's just doing the "psycho posture". You said he was moving faster than usual - maybe he was in fight-or-flight mode. I have a face-stapling ratsnake that coils up in strike mode, her head flattens, and her jaws flare out when she's not happy - and that's most of the time!

Kathy

Lesley1960
01-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Hope he's not unhappy as he's been an absolute joy since I got him in September last year. He hasn't shed since 10th October. He's about 7 years old ( the person I adopted him from said that was an approximate age) he had shed about 6 weeks before I got him so that would have been about 8 weeks between sheds, now no shed for 15 weeks. Is this normal at that sort of age?

insomniac101
01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
. . . now no shed for 15 weeks. Is this normal at that sort of age?

That would depend on how often he eats, and what size rodent. Snakes shed their skins in correlation with growth. My younger snakes shed almost every month, but they eat every 5-7 days. My carpet pythons and large boa eat every couple of weeks on a maintenance schedule, so they only shed every 8-10 weeks - even longer when the males go off feed in the winter.

Are his temps warm enough? How often are you offering food?

Lesley1960
01-24-2015, 01:25 PM
He has one large mouse every 14 days. He is just over 5 ft in length and a good health weight . The temps are constant at 80 warm end and 70 cool end. It is winter here at present but I have a heater on in his room all day and turn it off at 10 pm at night and on again at 10 am. I have an uth and thermostat.

insomniac101
01-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I would feed him a little more often - maybe 7-10 day intervals. I would also bump up the warm spot to about 85 degrees.

Kathy

ryan evans
01-26-2015, 01:46 PM
How do I tell if my baby corn has a parasite .