PDA

View Full Version : Weird feeding behavior- even the vet is confused!

Weird feeding behavior- even the vet is confused!

SpectorGhost
02-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, need some advice.

I have an adult female ghost who is having some weird feeding issues. She went to the vet this week and is totally healthy. No mouth rot, no ulcers no impacting, totally healthy. This snake has not refused a meal outside of a shed period ever in the two years I have had her. She is my most consistent both behavior and feeding wise. She is a rescue so we don't know how old she is.

She refuses to eat frozen (usually she eats no problem) so we went to live. She strikes and coils and then tries to eat, and as soon as she gets to the neck of the mouse she backs off and circles the mouse. Then she tries again. She will move the mouse into lots of different positions, drag it around try putting it in her mouth and then holding it in the air, she will try to brace the mouse against the floor and try from above etc. she tries for 20 minutes before just giving up. She keeps doing the "I'm hungry" cage cruise and I feel so bad for her!

I filmed her feeding (at vets request) and she and the video are headed back to the vet next week. I would post it but it is 20 minutes long. The vet says he hasn't heard of a corn acting this way before, but he wants to see the video before recommending further testing.

Anyone have a snake act this way before?

Nanci
02-08-2015, 08:55 AM
I'd try with a f/t smaller mouse- like a fuzzy or a hopper, and see what happens.

When is the last time she was blue?

smigon
02-08-2015, 01:30 PM
I agree with trying a smaller mouse, but this is common in my household. Usually it is the smallest beasties that attack from the side, like trying to eat a hot dog starting at the middle! Then they circle, try different angles, and end up starting with a mouthful of mouse butt!

And people say reptiles are boring...

SpectorGhost
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys! She had a perfect shed about 3 weeks ago. Typically she is an excellent hunter- always grabs by the head and makes it fast. She always tries to eat starting at the head and then goes from there.... I just can't figure out why she spits it out when she gets to the neck just to change angles!

Ravenessa
02-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Could she be stupid due to being hormonal since it's that time a year?

I know dogs goes very stupid when in season and random behaviors happens...

If not I would say have them check her jaw, maybe the jaw is stuck so she can't unhinge it and this not get the prey item down? since that is the mechanics I'd guess that is what is off?!

SpectorGhost
02-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Finally! She ate 4 pinkies last night.....hopefully this stage will pass quickly!

cornyjo
02-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Hi there I'm curious to find out what the vets advice was after seeing feeding video .Was he of any help Kim x

SpectorGhost
02-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Update- we have not been back to the vet yet.... Waiting a couple more feeding cycles. I did get her to eat 4 pinkies last Saturday ...... Then when I was out of town this weekend the other half tried an adult mouse- same thing killed it, slobbered it, then left it. The weather has been funky so we shall see. If she refuses again this coming weekend then back to the vet we go.

She is still super active and in good spirits.... The little turkey.

Nanci
02-24-2015, 07:55 AM
How do you know she's a female?

Ravenessa
02-24-2015, 07:56 AM
I think you should go sooner than later... her feeding response seems to have no issues... Im worried about her jaw..

SpectorGhost
02-24-2015, 11:13 AM
I know she is female because the vet told me so (she was also found with a clutch when she was discovered abandoned) the vet checked out her jaw and down her throat etc.... She appears fine. No lack of movement, no ulcers or discolorations. I'm probably going to haul her back in there next week.

Nanci
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Can you get rat pinks? Or peach fuzzy mice?

SpectorGhost
02-25-2015, 12:12 AM
She has never had rats (with me anyway) so I have not yet tried those.. that's a good idea.. a little more bang for the buck.....

smigon
02-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Update- we have not been back to the vet yet.... Waiting a couple more feeding cycles. I did get her to eat 4 pinkies last Saturday

FOUR pinkies? That is way too many. She needs to be bumped up to the next largest mouse. I wouldn't feed my snakes more than two a week, and that is pushing it, that is a regurge waiting to happen.