• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help me please

mejjox

Hi i got my first corn snake 2 days ago and was just wondering if someone can help take me out of this worrying stage i seem to be in let me explain, my corn snake was very active for the first hour of it being in its new home it was actively exploring the decorations and hides but then after the second hour it went inside the hide on the heated side of the viv and has stayed in there for the past 2 days in pretty much the same spot is this normal ? i have changed the water both days but i dont even think the corn has touched it, i would really appreciate it if someone could let me know if this is normal or if this should be a cause for concern thankyou

From everything I've learned, snakes spend most of their time hiding. I have a baby girl and she spends all her time curled up in the vines and leaves in her viv. She loves them. I also can't visually tell if she's been drinking water. I've never seen her do it... but I trust that she has. I've owned lots of different kinds of pets and one thing I've learned is that they follow their instincts pretty well. If your snake is thirsty, it will drink.

thanks for the reply grandline, just need a little reassurance its my first reptile always wanted one so guess im just trying to make it go as smoothly as possible think i should just chill out and let nature take its course :)

It's fine for them to hide a lot. My Marcy (adult) just spent 6 consecutive days bent in half like a hairpin in a paper towel tube. She was perfectly happy and thought I couldn't see her fat guts sticking out the end.

Snakes don't sweat and aren't moist, so they don't drink a lot of water. Just keep clean water available and they'll drink when they want it. I have only seen mine drink shortly after they ate.

thanks for the reply grandline, just need a little reassurance its my first reptile always wanted one so guess im just trying to make it go as smoothly as possible think i should just chill out and let nature take its course :)

Auggie is my first snake, too! I was worried, too, when she wasn't moving but I did a lot of research here. I've come by lots of wisdom from the experts here that have put my fears at ease.

she sounds shameless :p, ive changed the water everyday so far so il continue to do so, ive also read that you should leave the snake about a week to settle is this true ?, i have tried not to disturb him/her (not sure yet). simply gone in the viv to change the water

ahh at least we was in the same boat once, well i will follow your footsteps and continue to research until all these fears are at ease, just like the first time riding a bike il get over them :)

she sounds shameless :p, ive changed the water everyday so far so il continue to do so, ive also read that you should leave the snake about a week to settle is this true ?, i have tried not to disturb him/her (not sure yet). simply gone in the viv to change the water

I left mine for an entire week to let her settle, then fed her and didn't hold her for 48 hours after feeding.

I left mine for an entire week to let her settle, then fed her and didn't hold her for 48 hours after feeding.

ahh il do the same then i have seen the same advice a lot on websites so i think thats the best way to do it then, just a lot easier hearing it from someone who cares for snakes themselves

Yeah babies will hide a lot all together, my male amel took almost 3 months on him in his big viv before he was comfortable.. he will now be out and about all time but I don't even think that is the norm... But they tend to be more calm and out more as they get older/bigger and settled in.. esp when hungry...

Hiding is totally normal. My guy is a reliable hider, he can always be found under his cool hide unless he just ate lol. Sometimes he will poke his head out in the afternoon and watch the pigeons flying around outside. No need to worry! Just give your little one a week or two to adjust and then start handling it as much as you can stand :)

Back