PDA

View Full Version : Shedding questions (corn snake staying in hide)

Shedding questions (corn snake staying in hide)

Eudiphon
02-09-2015, 06:47 PM
So, let me preface my story with the fact I monitor my snake via a webcam to keep an eye on his behavior. The last 2-3 days, he hasn't come out during his normal time of about 5-7PM for some reason, and I'm unsure what's up. Nor have I seen any activity (or has the camera picked up any motion) for 2-3 days outside his hide.

I'm concerned as I haven't seen him drinking any water even -- not even a brief leaving of his hide. However, I did confirm he is still in the hide, and is still moving and acting ok. (He doesn't seem trapped or anything when I checked on him, nor is he exhibiting any signs or symptoms of health issues). He has shifted around in the hide from side to side, but I haven't seen any other movement beyond that little amount.

Additionally, his temps are ok -- I provide both a 82.7F hide, and a 81.5F one (this one is the one he has been using / staying in for 2-3 days).

Eating wise, he has been doing great. He ate a few days before he went into this "hiding" mode, and I haven't detected any pukes so his digestion has gone well.

Should I be concerned at this point?

EDIT: Just wanted to add this is not normal for him -- he's normally always out at least once an evening, if not more often. So something definitely has to be up.

Eudiphon
02-10-2015, 04:18 AM
Nothing last night either at all -- definitely not typical. Concerned about his water intake at this point.

Eudiphon
02-10-2015, 06:18 AM
I found out what it was -- he is going into a shed. His eyes are that milky color people have spoke about, so I'm assuming that's what is going on here.

Is it better to stuff moss into the hide he is in? or just provide a mossy hide nearby that he can use at will?

I'm assuming the latter of the two here, and I should just OFFER a moss hide, not force him to use it or touch him in his current hiding place?

smigon
02-10-2015, 07:48 AM
I would rework his temps, the UTH should be set at about 87° which makes the top of the substrate about 85°, and the cool end will gradiate itself down to about 75°.

Unless you have had a bad shed, I wouldn't worry about the moss boxes. If you do want to make one, cutting a large yogurt or cottage cheese container down one side, across the bottom and then up the other side will provide you with two (almost) free hides, I would put the moss in there.

Eudiphon
02-10-2015, 07:56 AM
I would rework his temps, the UTH should be set at about 87° which makes the top of the substrate about 85°, and the cool end will gradiate itself down to about 75°.

Unless you have had a bad shed, I wouldn't worry about the moss boxes. If you do want to make one, cutting a large yogurt or cottage cheese container down one side, across the bottom and then up the other side will provide you with two (almost) free hides, I would put the moss in there.

My UTH is set to about that, but I've got about an inch of substrate above it, and the area where the hide is isn't quite dead center.

Actually, looking at him again, his eyes weren't completely blue but he just has a dull appearance overall, like he's a little washed out color wise.

It's sort of hard to tell if he's trying to shed, but I'm concerned mostly about his lack of water drinking.

Afrederi
02-10-2015, 09:03 AM
My corn goes into hiding when he's about to shed. It's perfectly normal. If he needs to drink, he'll venture out and take a sip. Or he'll gobble down water when it's time for him to actually shed.

Rigby & Marcy
02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
That is all normal. Snakes don't drink water often, because they don't sweat or pee (as such) so they don't lose much.

Eudiphon
02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
That is all normal. Snakes don't drink water often, because they don't sweat or pee (as such) so they don't lose much.

Ah ok. Thanks for verifying.

Yeah, I didn't want to pull him out of his hide, since he looked pretty terrified since this is his first shed. (he never tried to bite me or anything, he never does).

I always keep two warm side hides -- and I stagger their temp a degree or so in case something unexpectedly changes the temp in the viv, he has a slightly cooler one. I just replaced the secondary one with one filled with moss. I'll have to check back to see if he is actually using it though... but should he want to, it's there.

This is my first shed with him, so I kinda freaked out not knowing why his behavior suddenly changed so quickly compared to his usual curious self.

Rigby & Marcy
02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
One thing that's nice for new snake owners with a small-ish snake is a magnetic reptile rock. The snakes love to go into the cave and hide, and you love to peek at them every half hour, and the reptile rock allows you to peek without disturbing them as long as you're careful not to snap it back on. Even the largest magnetic rocks won't accommodate an adult snake but they're good for juveniles. Also keep in mind this will be your cool hide because it won't rest on the heat mat.