PDA

View Full Version : Lysol :( Please help!

Lysol :( Please help!

SnakesMcGee
02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Hello,

I used Lysol to disinfect my snake's viv just now. Afterward I read the label and saw that it is toxic to humans and domestic animals. I am terrified that if I put snakey back in, I'll kill her... so here's my plan:

- Rinse thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly! And then rinse some more. And continue rinsing until every trace of the Lysol smell is gone, and then rinse again just for good measure.

...ok that's the whole plan. Do you think she'll be ok? Have I doomed my snake?

hypnoctopus
02-15-2015, 10:07 PM
I think it'll be okay if you rinse it as long as there is no smell once it dries. I've used Lysol wipes to wipe down the glass occasionally and I haven't had any problems.

cornsnakeforsale_com
02-15-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't profess to know the right answer, but personally I'd give it a couple of days to air out as well, maybe even some sun.

smigon
02-16-2015, 08:34 AM
FYI in the future you can use a very diluted bleach/dish soap solution, letting it soak before scrubbing and rinsing, or vinegar and water, a more natural solution.

As long as you rinse the smell off you should be fine.

Kaifyre
02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Peroxide is a natural disinfectant. I use a mix of peroxide, vinegar, and water to clean my tanks. On the bird cages I add a squirt of lemon juice to make it smell nice but you probably don't want that in the snake tank. : )

-- Kai

SnakesMcGee
02-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had fed her so I didn't have the option of letting it air out for a couple days... she needs the heat. So I rinsed it four times and let it air out until the smell was gone. That was Sunday night; I checked her this morning and she seems perfectly fine. In her grumpy "leave me alone, I'm digesting!" mood.

Definitely not making that mistake again!

SnakesMcGee
02-18-2015, 06:18 PM
alright... it's been three days and she's still fine. phew! unless there's some hidden neurological damage (and honestly, how would I know? lolsnakebrain) I think we're out of the woods.

not making that mistake again!

murder4me
02-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Use a water/vinegar solution. Waiting a couple days is overkill, way overkill. Spray the solution in the viv then wipe. Done.