PDA

View Full Version : Alota Lost Weight?? also shed trouble

Alota Lost Weight?? also shed trouble

SharkBait1992
02-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Alota arrived he on the 30th of december
She ate for me for the first time on the 6th of january,
on the 10th I took her weight and she was 7 grams. She ate again on the 12th and weighed 8 grams on the 16th
at her next 3 feedings she weighed 8 grams and ate each time
On febuary 11th she weighed 9 grams, shortly after she went into blue.

She shed last night, the 17th (she was also due to eat this day), despite filling her water more than usual and her having a humid hide she had a really rough shed. Nadle had the exact same set up for his shed and it was perfect. I had to but some damp moss in her feeding tub and stick her in for about 20-30 min.

I figured she might be stressed from that so I waited til today to feed her and when I weighed her she was 7 grams. I sadly dont have a scale that does tenths of a gram so I don't know exactly how much she lost (looking into getting one). she ate great today though, took a 3 gram pinkie.

Warm side sits at 85-86, cool side ranges from about 72- 78 depending on the time of day, she is on aspen bedding, she has 5 hides and a fake plant. humidity sits at around 40% if you guys need any other info just let me know not sure what else you may need.
oh also I just wanted to add that she hasnt regurged at all I checked her whole tub and under all the aspen when I saw she had lost weight, all I found was poo.

Sorry for the wall of text, next time she goes into blue should I help her kinda find the humid hide? and any ideas why she might have lost weight, I cant imaging going one day more than usual without food would cause that. Thanks for any help, I'm worried about her.

Nanci
02-19-2015, 08:37 AM
It's normal to lose weight after a shed. Mostly because the snake doesn't poop when blue, so the weight includes the poo, and then poops after the shed, so it can look like the snake lost a lot of weight, when really they just got rid of retained (because of inactivity while blue) poop.

SharkBait1992
02-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Thank you so much nanci, I was so worried

mishima25
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
This happened to mine as well, the first shed he had with me when he was about 2 months old. Was weighting around 8-9gr and went down to 7. I thought the same as you at first, now I try to weigh him after he takes his poo. Thay are so small 1 gr seems a lot. After that he kept on putting on weight and getting bigger.

SharkBait1992
02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Yea 1 gram seems like a lot for their tiny bodies

Rigby & Marcy
02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Agreeing with the others about weight and poo, and also don't worry about the first shed in your care. Future sheds will probably be a lot better.

SharkBait1992
02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
I hope her next shed goes better. Thank you all for giving me some peace of mind.

Ersetz
02-21-2015, 05:47 AM
I got my little guy ~2 months ago, had two sheds now, and each time he drops 1-2g. It seems like a lot, since he was only 9g the first time, 12g the second, but he's quite little and bounces back pretty fast, seems like after one or two feedings. Just keep a good record of each food item and weigh your snake each feed, that way you can start to see your snake's personal pattern of growth/loss. It helps to ease your mind, trust me!

blacktip
02-21-2015, 04:06 PM
I have gotten into the habit of weighing my kids right before I feed them. This way I know they are empty and I'm getting consistent results.

SharkBait1992
02-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Yea I'm keeping track of everything

after the first couple feeds I started weighing them on feeding day beforee I feed them

Thank you everyone for the responses I feel much better now and probably will feel even better if/when I see weight gain at the next feeding