PDA

View Full Version : Help my gorgeous baby Opal, please..!!

Help my gorgeous baby Opal, please..!!

blessmeluck
02-22-2015, 01:55 AM
My baby opal is 7 months old. But she born with (maybe) backbone disorder which caused the body misshaped.

Can anybody please tell me, is it possible for this female to lay egg in the future?

Shiari
02-22-2015, 02:35 AM
Holy crud. No, she will most likely NOT be able to pass eggs.

Jessicat
02-22-2015, 02:56 AM
You should NEVER attempt to breed this snake. Not only could it be fatal to the snake, it would also pass along the genes which may have caused this abnormality.

blessmeluck
02-22-2015, 05:39 AM
But i really do want to try to breed this pretty girl, Since i already have her yet gorgeous brother, the Opal Butter.

What is the chance do this baby have? Is anybody have been in this situation before? I'm confused, because she do everything else without seems like she feel discomfort.

smigon
02-22-2015, 06:41 AM
You shouldn't breed siblings. On this one, the male could be carrying the kinked gene as well and you definitely don't want a bunch of corns you have to cull because of the genetic string you produced. And I would NEVER breed that girl to anyone, she wouldn't make it, and I don't know how things will go in the future.

hypnoctopus
02-22-2015, 08:02 AM
I have to echo what everyone else has said. Not only would it be very unlikely that she would be able to lay eggs and survive with such a severe kink, but the chance that her kink is genetic is also a risk.

I would just keep her (or rehome her) as a pretty, special needs pet and if you really want to breed, find a different female for your male.

crackerhead
02-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Based on the severity and positioning of the spinal kink, there is no way that animal will be able to pass eggs. If you bought it with the intention to breed it and the seller was aware of your intentions then shame on them. This animal should have been offered as a pet. Plus who knows what other deformities exist internally because of the spinal kink.
Once an animal leaves my care I have no control over how it will be maintained, let alone used. And I feel a responsibility for what ends up in the genetic soup we call corn snakes. Therefore if I had hatched an animal with that severe of a spinal kink I would have euthanized it immediately (gazers not being used in testing and proven Het gazers fall into this category as well.) My reasoning being there are more than enough Opals in the universe that can survive, thrive and breed successfully. There is no reason to put a compromised animal into the breeding pool even if the defect isn't genetic.
Please don't risk her life by breeding her simply because you want "beautiful" offspring. At this point in her life love her for what she is, not what she could produce.

Terri

Shiari
02-22-2015, 12:51 PM
I have a stunningly beautiful ghost with the gentlest temperament, who could make truly lovely babies... but she eggbound ONCE and so I will NEVER breed her. Her life is more important than any 'pretty babies' she could die trying to create.

Your snake will NOT be able to pass an egg past that kink. She WILL eggbind, and it will probably kill her.

blessmeluck
02-22-2015, 12:53 PM
any information about eggbind?

Ravenessa
02-22-2015, 08:21 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/athravan/eggbinding.html

and this is what happened to a snake who's egg just got stuck as well:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139941

and to be a little crass... there are PLENTY Of butter opals out there... she's 7 months old you can buy another female it won't really slow down your plans anything if you really have to breed.. but again 1. you shouldn't breed on the brother 2. you really shouldn't breed on the female.. you breed on her I would call you cruel and egotistical...

There is not a lot of money in opals... the girl i bought my opal male from and lavender male (brothers) still are sitting on a few now where she is now dropping the price to get rid of them... just saying...

Welcome to the forum, but please be responsible owner for your snakes sake..

nancyg
02-22-2015, 10:02 PM
That kink scares me. And I agree with the other comments, Breeding a snake with flaws that might be genetic is a bad idea. And the snake has to be physically able to survive producing eggs.

Why did you get a snake with deformities if you were thinking of breeding her?

blessmeluck
02-22-2015, 10:38 PM
You are right guys,
Too much to risk, to little to hope to gain..
Maybe i just let this baby be in peace..

smigon
02-23-2015, 06:07 AM
any information about eggbind?

Plenty. Use the search button to find them.

Ravenessa
02-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Bless I think you are taking the right decision.. I have a female here, who has been starved, burnt (she has scars on her skin)... Her inside is most likely not developed in any way shape or form that it should... but she will "look" normal once she is healthy again.. guess what I would never dream of breeding her even though she's beautiful... chances that her inside is screwed up after the neglect she's been trough is high.. And honestly I have no plans on breeding my corns anyhow.. may that change maybe.. but there are so many great breeders out there that are LIGHT years ahead of us on the morphs.. I'd rather just buy from them and mind you I have 12 snakes of where some are high quality genetics.. I have an opal that blows most Opals out of the water including her hets... Meet Aphrodite, Diffused opal motley het anery (and I think something else forgot what)... and she's a pet... When I see what these amazing breeders here have happened (another one just lost his snake in another post because of egg binding). I am straight up scared to subject my amazing snakes to it, not when I can just pay some for their work.. This amazing girl was 210 with shipping, and I would pay it again tomorrow.. I LOVE HER.. So I def think you are doing the right thing.. and if you decide to get other snakes in the future to breed, read up about how to muscle them right, feeding, supplements, what genetics to choose and then buy suitable stock from people who are long term breeders.. there is a lot going into it.. most first time breeders loose their eggs because incubation mishaps (lack of knowledge as well) Thank you for being a responsible loving owner <3
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10849767_10204468858593475_62185140816571677_n.jpg ?oh=7ee23eba1878be40ed8728757a1729ff&oe=5592AB8A&__gda__=1430868668_b039a13968bec0fd48ad8317bda9082 8