• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeder mice

milksnake1123

I was wondering if it is better to breed mice or buy them at a local pet store. I also heard live food is bad because they can attack your snake and scar it.

Mark

Breeding your own mice and rats....

definitely has it's advantages. I've been doing it for a while now and it has worked out great. When you breed your own rodents you have control over what kind of food they eat... healthy rodents are one of many factors for healthy snakes. You're right... when a rodent is attacked it will try to defend it self or get away by clawing or biting which can lead to injuries for your reptile. I mean come on... you would too if something was trying to eat you. Lol. It's best to kill the rodent first. I freeze my rodents first and then thaw them when ready to feed my snakes just to make sure they're parasite free. It's a small step to take for thier health. Breeding you own rodents also costs about half of what you would pay for them if you bought them online and about about 1/15 the cost of a retail pet/reptile shop (at least the ones near me).

Hope that helps,
VJ

You can if you would like, I prefer to buy frozen and be safe. Plus i couldn't kill them and I wouldn't feed live to my baby unless i have too. I pay 79 cents a peice for my pinkies at the local pet store, easier for me to go there then take care of them myself.

IMHO

I think that unless you own quite a few snakes it would not be the best idea to breed your own rodents.

I breed my own, pinkies are pretty expensive where I am at, I would end up buying bulk. So I started breeding and have had some good success with it. I feed the mice so I know what food they are taking in, on a daily basis.

I freeze the pinkies, fuzzies for feedings later on. The only thing I don't enjoy is the smell. Mice stink.

To me putting up with the smells and extra cage cleanings is well worth the expense of paying for frozen.

when you breed them, and you are ready to freeze them. do you just put them in the freezer live. I know this may sound like stupid question but i am thinking of breeding mice and I have one snake that will eat f/t pinkies. Any help will be appreciated

Back