PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a new baby

Feeding a new baby

FriendlyNeighbor
03-03-2015, 03:09 AM
I just bought this baby from Petsmart last Tuesday. They fed her that morning. Their definitely has been digestion but there is still a small lump. Should I still go ahead and feed her a pinky now or wait till she passes a larger stool and the lump disappears. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Ravenessa
03-03-2015, 09:48 AM
If the baby is healthy and round I'd wait another couple of days, she is also still settling into your house. Is your set up correct? cause on my babies the lump dispear usually in 2-3 days... So I get a little concerned hearing the lump is still visible unless they were powerfeeding (feeding as many pinks as the baby could eat) but if so I'd still wait until the lump goes or you run a risk of regurge.

How hot is your hot side and your cool side? how big is your tank? what heat source are you using? Welcome to the forum btw!! and please post pictures of your little friend, we love pictures here!

smigon
03-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Yes, welcome, and Ravenessa asked you all the questions I was going to!

FriendlyNeighbor
03-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I wish I could say things were looking better b but I found what looked like regurgitation this morning. . Yesterday, when Iwas looking at her, she looked pretty skinny as well. You can see her spine. . Whether that is because of myself or not, I do not know. I do know that I may have stressed her or from the beginning. I think I can point out several things I did wrong.
First, I did not have my set up ready when she got home last week. I had to adjust temperatures and humidity while she was in the tank.
Second, she had been fed by Petsmart that morning.
Third, we handled her when we got home.

Anyway, just telling you those things so you have a clear picture. I obviously didn't do my research before getting this beautiful creature. As far as the setup:
10 gallon tank.
Water bowl (water changed every day)
Temperature on hot side is between 80 to 85 and I assume the 70 to 75 degrees on the other because I have a 60 watt heart lamp right over the warm side.
I have a hiding log on cool side.
Climbing bark on warm side with top of perch right under heat source.
I have about 1 and a half zoomed coconut fiber substrate with about 1 and a half inch moss on top.

Please help. Is there something I can still do to help her? I don't know how much she was feed there. The bulge was big enough to see impressions of the feet of the pinky feed to her. She seems to be really skinny. I will upload a picture of her later today if she is out of hiding.

Ravenessa
03-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Ok so you have several problems going on... 1. Leave her alone 2. the hot end needs to be 85 degrees not lower, and you need to use an UTH not a light from above chances are it was too cool and she couldn't digest properly.. the cool end should be between 70-75 NO GUESSING though you need to have a thermomemter.. I have several spread out in my room some in the tanks some hanging around. The ambien in my room is 75 at all times more or less. night time it drops to 68 but that is my room NOT the cool side of the tanks (my room is full with reptiles). 3. I would toss the coconut fibres out, it may become too moist for her and can cause respiratory issues, I would get aspen and she needs plenty of hides being little, without it she will stress nad that will also cause it. There is a regurgitation protocol on the site I am going to try to look for it, and hopefully that can hep your little snakey. Sorry to hear she's so thin, if they feed her right she should not be :(

Ravenessa
03-03-2015, 01:42 PM
On the bottom you got a regurg protocol:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20965

Rigby & Marcy
03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi, sorry things aren't going well, and I would just add to what Ravenessa said that she should have a heat mat (that's what an UTH is, under tank heater), with a probed thermostat measuring the actual temperature in the middle of the heat mat. Directly above the heat mat should be a nice dark hide. You don't need heat lamps or any lights at all really. The warm hide with the right temperature on their belly is what allows them to relax and digest their food.

Good luck, hope you get things sorted out.

Rigby & Marcy
03-03-2015, 03:16 PM
(and one or more hides on the cool side are correct, which you already have)

FriendlyNeighbor
03-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Okay. Thanks Ravenessa and Rigby and Marcy for both of your care and detailed advice. I will go buy some aspen tomorrow and a UTH. About the 85 degrees. I read in Kathy Love's book that 80 to 85 degrees is good with a perch at about 90 to 95 degrees. I was just trying to follow her recommendations on that but I have read varying opinions on the matter. Do they need higher temps as babies? Sorry, i am not trying to complicate things. i am really just trying to learn what's best for her.

smigon
03-04-2015, 05:38 AM
As a baby that just regurgitated, the higher temps really do matter. And NEVER apologize for asking a question!

HERE (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1658702&postcount=6) is a link I made for another newbie, it may help with a lot of questions, but Kathy Love's book is one of the best. I have been at this for over 2 years and still refer to it now and again.

FriendlyNeighbor
03-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Should I replace all the substrate right now or wait until the six weeks of regurg protocol are over?

cornyjo
03-05-2015, 02:52 AM
So sorry to hear your news ,how are things now since changes? I think we had a similar situation to you in we were feeding Theo twice a week (maybe too much too soon) I am in the middle of a plan given to me by smigon a really helpful member on here .After leaving him for 8 days only changing water we fed him pinkie head once a week for 3 weeks ,this Friday will be his first whole pinkie since regurge 😱 so bit nervous !! Although plan seems to be working well ,good luck with whatever advice you follow but highly recommend smigons advice x kim

FriendlyNeighbor
03-05-2015, 03:13 AM
Thank you for sharing! After talking to some other people I decided to just get an infrared thermometer and a UTH. She seems happier already. I've been told I was worrying to much to. That itreally isn't as big a deal as i was making it out to be. So I feel better, as well. :) I will update when I feed her next week. I am very confident she will do fine. :)

Ravenessa
03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Just make sure you wait long enough according to the protocol, if you feed too soon after the digestive fluids wont have replenished and your baby will regurge again... And that can turn into a vicious cycle... and there is no bad questions... <3 I think everyone has had a regurge happening... Keeping fingers crossed for you!

FriendlyNeighbor
03-05-2015, 07:48 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/df213291b4d3042de47848b9194ed85d.jpg

This was when we first had her.

My pregnant wife is holding her. [emoji4]

smigon
03-06-2015, 03:36 AM
She's a little cutie! Yup, just follow the regurge protocol, at this point you want to follow a proven method and if she is up to it she will rebound. It is a looooong process, but stick with it. I had my first regurge about a month ago with a 70 gram girl, I fed her too big of a mouse (still kicking myself for it, I knew better) so I am learning the old-fashioned way too, follow those who walked this path before me.

smigon
03-06-2015, 03:38 AM
So sorry to hear your news ,how are things now since changes? I think we had a similar situation to you in we were feeding Theo twice a week (maybe too much too soon) I am in the middle of a plan given to me by smigon a really helpful member on here .After leaving him for 8 days only changing water we fed him pinkie head once a week for 3 weeks ,this Friday will be his first whole pinkie since regurge �� so bit nervous !! Although plan seems to be working well ,good luck with whatever advice you follow but highly recommend smigons advice x kim

<3 Cornyjo! Thanks, that made my day!

-Michelle

cornyjo
03-08-2015, 03:41 AM
I'm glad I made your day Smigon but more glad you saved our wee Theo 😉 ,we fed first whole pinkie Friday it's been a long wait but we are nearly at the end and I have followed my instructions religiously 😁 jo is desperate to hold and weigh Theo but we are doing so well with plan terrified we jinx it so few weeks yet !!! Theo looks so happy much more active out of hides ,and no sign of regurge from Friday . I think we cracked it Smigon thank you so so much . This little guy is super cute so tiny he is gorgeous !!! What has happened to me 4 months ago I was terrified yuk now I think they are gorgeous and Jordan thinks we should be buying a double viv for Theo when he is bigger!!!!! Hmmmmmm I'm agreeing lol bunk bed snakes !!!!! I'm happy to buy double viv for near future but want to be super confident with Theo first so time will tell x