PDA

View Full Version : A few newbie questions

A few newbie questions

andy+niks
03-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I got my first snake Andromeda about a month ago, a four year old.
I'm concerned because she's ver dry and flakey and some belly scales are even chipping (maybe from her moving backwards during handling?). I wasn't worried because she was in pre shed, but now even after shedding (and it was a good shed) she's still dry and flakey. Could this be a humidity/dehydration issue even though I mist the enclosure daily and she has a large water bowl?

Also I can hear her breathing, is that normal? I don't think it's wheezy or anything (don't know what normal snake breaths are!) just very audible.

This is my first reptile of any kind and I'm really scared of screwing up. Any info or suggestions would be so much appreciated, I'm a very anxious first time mom. Thanks.

smigon
03-09-2015, 06:37 AM
Is she near a heat source or in the window where she gets direct sunlight? Also, what are you using to heat her viv?

The wheezing could be a sign of a respiratory infection, take her to the vet ASAP!

We live in the low desert near Phoenix, AZ and have had almost NO bad sheds. Misting is not necessary for corns, and can cause the substrate to mold or mildew. Cover half of the viv to retain moisture. Hope this helps!

Welcome!

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 07:57 AM
She is near a window, but not in direct sunlight (we don't even get much sun right now). I have a UTH and heat lamp. She spends most of her time on the warm side. I didn't know that about misting, thank you!

Candy001
03-09-2015, 09:20 AM
The heat lamp is drying her out. You don't need it.

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 09:33 AM
You don't think I should have it on at all?

LittleFrog
03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
What are your temperatures on the warm side and cool side of the viv?

Rigby & Marcy
03-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I agree that heat lamps are drying and unnecessary, but if she shed and it all came off in one piece, then that's not what's wrong. What you're describing about her scales *could* be normal. A photo would help. I might disagree about misting though. Depending where you are in Canada, if you have forced air heat then you might have lower actual (not relative) humidity in your house than even a desert. I have to run a humidifier in the living room with my snakes all winter. Now that spring is coming this won't be an issue any more.

You shouldn't be able to hear breathing at all. I would get that checked on.

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't know the temps inside the viv, but I keep my room at 25. Is that a too high ambient temp?
I'll try to get a picture of her belly.

LittleFrog
03-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Fine for the cool side, but too cold for the warm side. You really need to get a thermometer so you know what your temps are, they're critical to your snake's health. Do you have any sort of heat source on the tank?

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Yes, I have a UTH and heat lamp.

LittleFrog
03-09-2015, 03:21 PM

You really NEED to get a thermometer, because there's just no way you would need both of those. A heat mat alone will get far too hot unregulated for your snake. You need to get a digital thermometer to find out what the temperature is on the substrate in the warm hide, and I can pretty much guarantee it's too hot. It should be about 30 degrees Celcius, or 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 03:40 PM
I will definitely get a thermometer. So should I be using just the uth while monitoring the temp and no lamp? I guess I can't know what to do until I know my temps.
I'm only doing what the previous owners were and it seemed to be working for them b/c she looked perfect when I first got her so my environment must be different.

benning_c
03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
You should be fine with just the UTH, but ideally it needs be on a thermostat. A thermostat will allow the UTH to turn on and off to maintain a set temperature. Get one of these and a digital thermometer (preferably 2, one for warm and cool ends. Place the thermostat and thermometer probes together on a thin layer of substrate directly above the central most point of the UTH. Set the thermostat so that your temps are reading low to mid 80's. When you first set it up it may take a little tweaking until you get the temps to be spot on.

You should definitely ditch the lamp in my opinion. Corns absorb the heat they need through their bellies so a properly regulated heat source from underneath should be all you need.

With regards to the misting I also agree with Rigby & Marcy. I think its subjective to the environment in which the corn in question is being kept. All sorts of things like Air Con units, dehumidifiers, electric fan heaters, central heating, a window being open etc... can have an affect on the humidity of a room. Whilst most people will tell you its not neccesary to mist your corn I think that you just need to wary of your environment and make sure that the humidty levels are that which is acceptable for a corn. A too high humidity level can occasionallt cause issues with mould or fungal growth which in turn can lead to a respiratory infection.

Which kinda brings us onto the wheezy breathing. You shouldn't usually be able to hear your snake breathing, I would keep a close eye on this, get a stick on hygrometer (humidity meter) if your really worried about your humidity. As you had a perfect shed I don't suspect its a lack of humidity that is causing any of your problems. Possibly too high but I doubt it if you've been running the lamp + UTH.

In summary, IMO you should get a thermostat for your UTH, a couple of digi thermometers, stick on hygrometer (if your really concerned about humidity) turn off your lamp and stop misting. then keep an eye on things. especially your temps... hope some of this helps.

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all that info

benning_c
03-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all that info

More of shopping list to be honest... also without trying to worry you too much I don't think I put enough emphasis on the fact that the loud breathing could be an indication of a respiratory infection. Read up about this and see what you think.... If yeah i'd get to a vet ASAP.

andy+niks
03-09-2015, 06:19 PM
I know. The breathing concerns me but wouldn't there be additional symptoms of a RI? I wouldn't mind seeing a vet regardless for a check up and to put my mind at ease.

andy+niks
03-10-2015, 10:49 PM
So went to the vet. There are no other signs of a RI except the breathing so if there is one it's very mild but i'm still going back for I think five more injections. She's in perfect health otherwise, very active and eating/shedding well. I feel so much better now.
All I need to do now is tweak her enviro conditions. Got two stick on thermometers today so will be monitoring temps at both ends and upping humidity.

LittleFrog
03-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Stick on thermometers are all but useless, as said before, you need a digital thermometer with the probe placed on the ground underneath the warm hide.

smigon
03-11-2015, 05:53 PM
There are lots of care sheets and stickies on this forum, each has great information on owning you first corn or adding to your collection. I would take the time to read everything you can on this site (the best bunch of collectors and breeders around!) and buy a few books, Kathy Love and Don Soderberg have two of the best written and we are lucky enough to have them both grace our presence through this website often.

Here is a care sheet (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1658702&postcount=6) I made for another member, maybe it will help you as well. And don't forget to ask questions! That is what we are here for.

smigon
03-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Corns (and most snakes) need no lamps. They need belly heat for digestion only. Nothing good can come of lamps, they dry out vivs (causing bad sheds), cause overheating, can cause fires, the bulbs are expensive and some can lead to blindness in some morphs.

Use the UTH and thermostat and a digital thermometer. You will be glad you did in the long run!

benning_c
03-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Well I'm glad you managed to get to the vet and that there are no other signs of an RI than the loud breathing. It could be that you have just caught it early and a short course of medication is all thats needed. Glad to hear she's in good health otherwise.

As a couple of people have already mentioned, the stick on thermometers aren't going to cut it. There not accurate enough. You really need a digital one (which you can pick up pretty cheap on ebay) plus a thermostat to control your UTH. Set it up as I explained above or read around on here.

I dont think you need to up your humidity from what you described. I mentioned buying a stick on hygrometer (humidity) if you are concerned but as you have had a good shed recently I suspect it will be fine. Corns aren't overly fussy about humidity.

Have you turned off that lamp yet?? Trust us you wont regret doing it...it will make things like temperatures and humidty so much easier to keep stable in the long run.