PDA

View Full Version : Help with shed or wait?

Help with shed or wait?

zazoo31
04-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Alberto is shedding as I post this. He is having the worst shed I have ever seen. He is working hard rubbing on things, climbing, burrowing and taking dips in his water. He pauses and looks exhausted. He is still going and I was wondering should I help and put him in a tub with warm damp cloths or let him carry on?

zazoo31
04-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Ah well, I gave up and soaked him. When done soaking I had him go through damp paper towels and it all came off. Hope we don't do that again anytime soon.

DollysMom
04-08-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm so glad the shed is over and that all is well!

My corn just had his first shed with me and retained the tail. Fortunately, he went into his humid hide with the damp moss on his own and when he emerged, the tail was fully shed.

If you haven't had a humid hide in the past (if you have then this info is still good for others), you might consider giving one to Alberto next time he goes blue. I made mine from a ziploc container, cut and sanded a hole in the top, and put damp spaghnum moss in it. I put some aspen substrate on top to make it darker inside and make it a true hide. I put it in the middle of the heat gradient in the viv.

hypnoctopus
04-08-2015, 05:37 PM
It often does take quite a bit of work to get the shed off, but usually they will not need any help. If his shed is in pieces or if he has stuck bits on him, at that point I would help him get the remainder off. And, yes, a humid hide can help if your snake has had a bad shed previously.

zazoo31
04-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. He has never been like this before. I live in AZ and he had a shed only four weeks out from his last--I suspect for a few dinged scales from his rambunctious mating season. I will make a hide next time he is blue just to try and avoid a repeat.

Jessicat
04-09-2015, 01:05 PM
As Olivia mentioned, add a moist hide to his habitat and next time he shouldn't have problems.

They're pretty easy.. you can use a small Tupper wear container or an old margarine or yogurt container with a hole cut into it for access. Preferably place the hole on the bottom. Fill it with damp sphagnum moss (which can be found at pretty much any pet store).

Some people prefer to only add a moist hide right before a shed. I've noticed that certain snakes seem to really dig them. Sometimes I'll leave them in longer, but then you will need to check on the moss more often.

Good luck! and yea.. even though the snake won't enjoy it the method you described works. Wet towel and a firm yet gentle grip can help get a bad shed off. I make them do all the work. Basically I just hold the towel around them and let them work their way through it on their own. I've only had to do this a few times and it seems to work well.

Good luck!