• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long is too long without eating?

lynda

My 5-foot corn, Ki, has now refused two meals in a row. He ate the week before that, but refused the one prior. These are his first refusals in the two years I have had him. He usually eats a large thawed mouse every 7 to 10 days, and usually quite avidly, taking it immediately when I dangle it in front of him. Now he has zero interest. If I leave the mouse with him for awhile, he ignores it and even slides right over top of it, like it wasn't there.

He is extremely active right now, like almost continually. Even more than previous springs. (His activity level in spring is why I think he is a male.) He shed about two weeks ago - often eats right after a shed, but not this time.

It has now been 23 days since he ate. When does this become a worry? That's my big question - I hear that corns can go a "very long time" between feeds, but I'd sure like to hear something more specific. And is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks!!

P.lS. Please forgive that I posted the same thing in response to someone else's questions. I am not sure mine showed up. I haven't posted much on this forum, though I read it - and appreciate that it is here.

I had a snake that was sick go 4 months without eating and she made a full recovery. If she hadn't been sick I imagine she could have gone longer.

It's that time of year, love is in the air. My hognose males regularly got 8 to 12 weeks refusing food in the spring. The ones who pace the cage lose a lot of weight too, but they always bounce back. Corns aren't nearly as bad to do this for long stretches. I'd just continue offering food weekly, he'll get back on food.

What about a baby, my baby corn hasn't accepted a meal since the 29th, as an adult I wouldn't care, but she has refused 3 times. (Sorry for sort of jacking a post)

My 5-foot corn, Ki, has now refused two meals in a row. He ate the week before that, but refused the one prior. These are his first refusals in the two years I have had him. He usually eats a large thawed mouse every 7 to 10 days, and usually quite avidly, taking it immediately when I dangle it in front of him. Now he has zero interest. If I leave the mouse with him for awhile, he ignores it and even slides right over top of it, like it wasn't there.

He is extremely active right now, like almost continually. Even more than previous springs. (His activity level in spring is why I think he is a male.) He shed about two weeks ago - often eats right after a shed, but not this time.

It has now been 23 days since he ate. When does this become a worry? That's my big question - I hear that corns can go a "very long time" between feeds, but I'd sure like to hear something more specific. And is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks!!

P.lS. Please forgive that I posted the same thing in response to someone else's questions. I am not sure mine showed up. I haven't posted much on this forum, though I read it - and appreciate that it is here.

I'm wondering if its the breeding season ... My lovely Corn ate EVERYTIME until he was about 2 years old and then he goes on these little ' fasts' every year now ..,

Thanks, everybody who is answering. What threw me was that this was the first time my guy has gone on a "fast." It is the third spring I have had him. Each year he has gotten very active, but always ate instantly before this. That made me wonder if there was something really wrong. I am much relieved now.

I guess that mating instinct can vary year to you. (Now why should that be a surprise?) It is funny to watch, too. My Ki roams back and forth in his 6-foot ex-aquarium, over and around stuff, up the wall like Spiderman (Spidersnake?), trying to push his way out the edges. Mice are irrelevant.

So I'll just sit back and enjoy watching him, and try him with a mouse once a week.
Thanks!

What about a baby, my baby corn hasn't accepted a meal since the 29th, as an adult I wouldn't care, but she has refused 3 times. (Sorry for sort of jacking a post)

I have a baby that refused to eat for more than a month and she made a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back