PDA

View Full Version : Weird looking scales?

Weird looking scales?

hazyepiphany
04-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Diablo has some weird looking scales, or lack of scales maybe? I noticed it when he was a little smaller but I figured he would grow and they would change but they haven't. He acts completely normal, and shows no signs of mites or anything. So I'm just wondering if it looks normal? He (or she) is about 4 months old from Petco, most likely an amel.
Any input would be greatly appreciated (:

hypnoctopus
04-13-2015, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry, I don't see which scales you're talking about. Could you maybe put a red arrow on the photos or post bigger photos? (You can also link bigger images if it's easier than attaching them.)

Also, I would say he looks like a butter or a creamsicle.

hazyepiphany
04-13-2015, 01:22 AM
I'm talking about the scales that are "clear" breaking up the pattern, where the red meets the yellow and white. Ugh it won't let me attach the pictures I want to but the 2nd photo does a good job of representing what I'm talking about. and I agree that he might be a butter or a creamsicle but I guess I won't really know unless I bred him :(

hazyepiphany
04-13-2015, 01:29 AM
it let me! here is the best I could do

Shiari
04-13-2015, 01:36 AM
You mean the white scales?

hypnoctopus
04-13-2015, 02:52 AM
That is completely normal! In normal corn snakes, those areas would be black. But because your snake has the amelanism gene, it removes the melanin (black pigment), which leaves those areas clear. As your snake grows up, they will fill in with white.