PDA

View Full Version : Snakes tail is black and under side is red.

Snakes tail is black and under side is red.

RawRambo
04-25-2015, 11:01 PM
I looked at my snake today to see that his tail is black and certain scales look like they are gone or are red. I am new to the whole snake scene and am really worried any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
http://imgur.com/a/rXn6m

Ravenessa
04-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Either you got scale rot or more likely the tip of his shed has been stuck and strangled the tip. I have two snakes with similar, eventually it fall off. The breeder who bred your snake or yourself haven't stayed on top of removing the old shed and missed that the half a mm that is left on the tip. It will most likely not kill him, it just fall off eventually... :(

RawRambo
04-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Either you got scale rot or more likely the tip of his shed has been stuck and strangled the tip. I have two snakes with similar, eventually it fall off. The breeder who bred your snake or yourself haven't stayed on top of removing the old shed and missed that the half a mm that is left on the tip. It will most likely not kill him, it just fall off eventually... :(

I walked in on his latest shed and it came completely off. Nothing seemed wrong while he was shedding, could there be something else that happend?

Ravenessa
04-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Are you sure about that tail tip? because when I pull my fingers over my light snakes a couple of them have had the tip there once or twice (puny part)..

If it's not that I'd look at scale rot, do you feed live? might be a nibble if so (bite), anything he could have cut himself on? I'd look for scales if there is no scales I'd clean it and if it gets ANY worse run him to the vet..

RawRambo
04-25-2015, 11:28 PM
I don't feed him live and I recorded the end of his latest shedding and at the end I heard a pop noise when it came off the tip of his tail could that be related to the problem? There isn't anything he could cut his tail on except his log possibly but he has had it since he was little.

Ravenessa
04-25-2015, 11:45 PM
I don't know to be honest.. HOpefully someone more experienced can answer.. however he might have squoshed himself on the log somehow. That is not totally unsual, it doesn't look very big the damage so maybe? Clean it and keep an eye on it, see if you feel any left over skin just in case and you may not feel it either. I take a damp paper towel and rub the end as most of my snakes are light and hard to see it on..

Maddi91
05-07-2015, 10:50 AM
I had the same issue a few years ago with my oldest corn snake, and it was indeed that I missed the shed on the end of her tail (I was inexperienced) - the tail went black after I removed the shed and after a while it went reddish and healed while a tiny little bit fell off. Now she is perfectly fine.