PDA

View Full Version : at the risk of sounding morbid...

at the risk of sounding morbid...

Drey
08-20-2004, 12:21 PM
how long does it take for an adult mouse to die, using the CO2 method?

The reason im asking is that i've gotten varied results depending on the amount and quickness of time introducing the CO2 , and i just want to perfect my method, so that future mice dont suffer more than they have to.

The specifics :

Alot of C02, very fast : They died quick, say less than a minute, but they seemed to panic and choke a whole lot more. I've heard that cranking up the concentration effectively suffocates them, so i tried various degrees of ...:

Co2, introduced slowly : Well..they sure took a whole lot longer in "going to sleep " (cant see how they're actually sleeping cause their eyes are still open), but generally they just tended to sniff the air, start to tremble, and slump to the floor, breathing very heavily with such quick heartbeats that i could literally see and hear it.

so my question is, which is the "better" method, and what is normal for you guys out there?? replies appreciated

Drey

PS : sorry if i put off some people due to the detailed description

Amanda E
08-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I've always heard that the slower you introduce it, the more humane, but who really knows? Maybe ask a vet?

sorry if i put off some people due to the detailed description
It's totally okay by me. I've yet to gas any of mine and it's nice to know what to expect.

Drey
08-23-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks amanda, what method do you use then, just being curious. Or do you order F/T?
sigh..i see all you guys have so many corns! i'm stuck with having just one! love the guy to bits...but the urge to have more is just killing me!!

Cindy
08-23-2004, 12:03 PM
A friendly warning, getting another snake doesn't quench the desire, if anything it gets stronger... this hobby is addictive :cheers: