PDA

View Full Version : My corn snake won't eat!

My corn snake won't eat!

BigD
05-11-2015, 03:42 AM
I rescued a corn snake about 9 months ago and the person I got her from could not afford to feed are take care of it and it got loose in her house and while loose got burned on its side towards the end of its tail by a wood stove. I took her and managed to get the burn to heal and she started eating good and regular for a while but after 3 months she started refusing food and then she would take one after a month and then not take anther one for a few months. It's always had live but when I got her i tried her on thawed and had no problems and then when she got healthier she would only take live. It's been four months now and she has not taken food yet what should I try next? Also I don't know the gender if someone could help me figure it out I would really like to know. I know my question is all over the place but I'm new to corn snake or snake in general but I fell in love with this snake and she means everything to me.

Ravenessa
05-11-2015, 08:07 AM
How old is she? how big is she?
Thank you for rescuing her <3 I have a couple of those myself!

BigD
05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
I don't know her age but she is about four feet give are take.

Ravenessa
05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
she might have gone off feed a bit for the winter, some snakes eat less winter time semi hibernating (I don't know much about it but the breeders here will), and now she might be in mating mode. I am sure the others might answer you better than I can.. but that would be my suspicion esp since you are also working on switching her, this is the season they can be finicky.. I had a young one only a year refusing food for three weeks then she started eating again. And she's young and was hormonal.. just a thought. As long as the poop is normal and she isn't loosing weight, being a finicky snake is not too uncommon. if you are unsure I'd take her to the vet..

BigD
05-16-2015, 09:31 PM
I put a live feeder mouse in and she gets real excited but then backs away from it and won't take it! So today I went and got some frozen should I try that instead? Any suggestions on what I can try?

BigD
06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Cob is finally eating!!! I got some small mice and I let them thaw at room temp and she takes them with no problem. Her last three feedings have gone very well. Thank you everybody for the great advice.