PDA

View Full Version : regurged

regurged

jillianjade
05-28-2015, 03:17 AM
Hey guys! I'm new to snakes and I need some help. My baby corn snake regurged yesterday May 27. I last fed her 2 pinkies on the 24th. She'll be 4 months on June 6, this was her second feeding with 2 pinkies. I decided to start feeding 2 because a day after feeding she didn't have a lump anymore. She was also very active less than 24 hrs after she ate. Her first feeding with 2 pinkies was fine so I'm not sure what went wrong this time. I know I should leave her alone for at least 10 days to get her gut flora and everything back to normal, then try to feed her a smaller meal than usual. I just need to know what I did wrong. These are a few things that I think that could have caused it:

-I cleaned her tank while she was eating, could this have caused stress? Maybe she feels like she's in a new environment.
-I put it in a new log, same reasoning as the first
-I raised the temps by a few degrees because it rained and was a bit cooler, her hot side is usually 80-84, but I saw it drop to 78/79 when it was cold out. I haven't seen it higher than 84.5 when I turned up the heat though.
-I added a regular floor lamp in the room (I used to just view her in the dark at night), this is usually off unless I enter the room to check on her and the temps, could this have stressed her out?

I also don't handle her until 3-4 days after feeding. Sorry for the extremely long post but I'm really upset at myself and I just want to make sure she's better. I was so scared of this happening.

enoreg
05-28-2015, 07:09 AM
It's hard to say. So many things changed. What did you clean the tank with and how? You may have done nothing wrong. Don't stress relax and give her time.

jillianjade
05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
I only dumped the old substrate and newspaper. I didn't used chemicals or anything.

Ravenessa
05-29-2015, 09:52 AM
4 months is not always old enough to do 2 pinkies even though first one disappeared rather fast. How much does she weigh?

Nanci
05-29-2015, 10:20 AM
I'd say either the meal was too large, or she is getting ready to go blue. I don't think any of the reasons you listed would cause her to regurge.

Nanci
05-29-2015, 10:21 AM
And when you work back up to double pinks, you can feed her pinks cut in half, or thirds. Start with a very tiny pink, cut into two pieces. Then gradually increase the size of the pink, then go to 1.5 pinks, but drop back to the smaller ones, and feed 1.5, in three pieces, for a few meals, then go to two, in four pieces.

jillianjade
06-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I woke up to a nice clean shed this morning. So it was probably because she was in blue. This is her first shed with me and it was hard for me to tell since she's my first snake and she's an amel. It hasn't been 10 days since she regurged, but I know many owners like to feed after a shed. I should still wait at least 10 days though, right?

jillianjade
06-04-2015, 03:59 PM
And when you work back up to double pinks, you can feed her pinks cut in half, or thirds. Start with a very tiny pink, cut into two pieces. Then gradually increase the size of the pink, then go to 1.5 pinks, but drop back to the smaller ones, and feed 1.5, in three pieces, for a few meals, then go to two, in four pieces.

Oh gosh.. not looking forward to cutting up pinks

hypnoctopus
06-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I would still wait the full ten days.

Cutting up pinkies is really not too gross. When I have to do it, I cut them frozen (and then put the unused half back in the freezer for next time). Just try to think of it like any other meat!