PDA

View Full Version : Scale problems

Scale problems

Elven-Dragon
05-29-2015, 07:26 AM
I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong with my corn snake. I've had her for about 2 months now. She is about 3 feet long, 4 years old. Her set up is a 30 gallon, with a heat mat on one side as well as a basking bulb. She's fed one small adult mouse every Sunday.

About 3 weeks ago, her eye lenses clouded up, so I figured she was going to shed soon. I skipped that weeks meal and waited. Next feed time comes around and she still hasn't shed. I offer her a meal, but she doesn't take it. Another week goes by and her eyes are still cloudy and I notice that some of her scales are sort of flaking. It as if only one scale here and there is shedding. I took her out for a quick self check up, and found that there are scales that have gone a funny color, and seem damaged. Pictures are attached.

I fear it's scale rot, but I'm not sure. I also fear it's both a shedding problem and scale rot, in which case what do I do?

Thanks for the help.

cjbage
05-29-2015, 07:59 AM
I can only give a little bit of advice on this one, one of the more expert owners hopefully can help you more, but, they don't need a basking bulb. Such things dry out the humidity in the tank. To me she looks very, very dry. Maybe trying a moist hide, also there should be a sticky on here somewhere about shedding problems.

That is just my opinion.

HVani
05-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Looks like a bad shed. Basking bulbs can dry out an enclosure causing a bad shed. You can use a damp cloth and have her slither through it to help loosen the shed. In the past I have put the snake in a container with a wet towel. As they crawl around they loosen the shed and can get it off.

Elven-Dragon
05-29-2015, 09:15 AM
I already tried soaking her in a bath, then letting her through a wet towel last week, but I'll try again. I'll also take the bulb off :)

The main thing that is concerning me though is that she has a bunch of scale damage. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture, but everywhere that her scales arnt shiny, they are rough, and are coloured strangely.

Elven-Dragon
05-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Here's another pic, I'm on mobile and having trouble uploading more than one at a time