PDA

View Full Version : Advice re a newly adopted snake

Advice re a newly adopted snake

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here. We have taken a 5 year old female snow corn from someone who could no longer care for it and didn't know what she was doing. She's about 5ft long, I haven't had a chance to weigh her yet.
I've had a corn snake before so I was happy to take her on.
I was told that she hasn't been feeding well due to it being mating season, but that she has just started eating again. However she looks underweight to me... You can see her spine. We only got her on Wednesday but we did offer food yesterday... She wasn't interested. I'm not to worried about that because I know she needs to settle.
I thought it odd that there was no thermostat on the viv so I've sorted that out and bought a new heat mat as the one she had wasn't working. I'm wondering if her feeding issues my be down to lack of heat.

The main thing I am worried about is that she keeps opening her mouth. I don't think she has any mouth rot as it all looks fine. I don't think this is a respiratory problem either as they are no other symptoms... Can anyone advise me please.

hypnoctopus
05-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Is it possible that she is in blue? It can be quite challenging to tell with a snow corn. Sometimes my snakes will open their mouths while they're in blue.

She definitely may have been refusing food because of too cool temperatures. I would give her a good week to settle in (and to see if she sheds or becomes obviously in blue) and then attempt to feed her something very hot and smaller than what she should be eating.

If you can post a picture of her, we see how underweight she is.

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Here are some pics

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Did only 1 pic come through

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Try again !

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Finally ! Still getting the hang of this

hypnoctopus
05-30-2015, 02:58 PM
She doesn't look underweight at all! :) She looks like a good, healthy weight.

KatSelf
05-30-2015, 03:07 PM
:eatsmiley ah that's good... I thought that because you can see her spine, she was a little underweight... She really is lovely... She loves being handled and now we've got the temps right she's quite active in the evenings.
She could be blue I guess, but I can't tell... My previous corn was a regular corn and it was easy to see when he was ready to shed.
Any pointers other than cloudy eyes on how to spot it with a snow ?

cjbage
05-30-2015, 04:05 PM
When my snow goes blue he heads for his hide or goes up under his bedding and stays there, usually just barely poking his nose out when I pass by or open his cage to spot clean or change out his water bowl.

Which is completely opposite of normal. But as soon as he comes back out and I can see his full body for more then a few minutes that's when he'll start working his way around the viv and shed.

His normal body color will also darken from a creamy color to a few shades deeper and will take on a slightly duller look.