PDA

View Full Version : Common causes of regurge?

Common causes of regurge?

Jenn
06-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I know there's a lot of threads on regurge but I was hoping to get a list of common causes.

Woke up this morning to a regurge. Fed my new snake her third feeding of 2 pinks, almost 48 hours ago. She is currently weighs 24 grams. Her food in total has weighed 4 grams each time I've fed her so far. One pink looked just about fully digested (it was not discernible as a pink) and the other looked about half of it had began to be digested.

She may have been going into shed. She was showing no signs when I took her out to feed but she hasn't been as active at night recently, and I haven't looked for her since she ate the other day to allow her to digest.

One thing that has been going on is I'm having temperature issues. I have a repti temp 500R thermostat. One night it fell off the outside of the tank. Since then it seems to be more unreliable. I have to mess with it to keep the temperature in the right range almost once a day, and seems to be getting worse. Yesterday it was 90 in the warm side. I pretty much had to turn the thermostat all the way down just to get it to turn off. I think it's broken? Is this a good thermostat in general or did I break it when it fell off the tank? Could high temps cause a regurge? I would think she would just move to the cool side, but the regurge was on the warm side.

This is the only thermostat that I could find at a store near me. So if I need to get a new one, I'll get one online and I'll need recommendations. One thing I'm not a fan of on this thermostat is there's no degrees on it. My aquarium has a heater that has degrees on it (although, the degrees on the heater don't tend to match the actual temperature, it's still simpler to know that 85 on the heater = 80 actual degrees) are there any thermostats like that that I can buy?

What else could cause a regurge?

I feel like I jinxed it, I was just telling my husband how happy I was that things were going well for her so far :(

CornSnameGal
06-04-2015, 01:10 PM
It could be the drastic temperature change. It could also be that she ate too much leave her for about 4 days and then try to feed her again.

TimeBomb
06-05-2015, 02:50 PM
If you haven't read this yet, it will definitely be a good read!

Health Issues/Feeding Problems FAQ (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342)

-Travis

Jenn
06-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Thank you, I missed this sticky!! I received a new thermostat today and have it plugged in. That last one was most definitely broken. I went to bed and it was at a steady 81 and was not heating up. I woke up this morning and it was 89 and still heating up! Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one. I also just had to check on her to make sure she was alive, she is. So back to rest until I feed her.

I'm thinking when the time comes to start her on half a pinky. This may be a sill question, but which way do I cut the pinky? In half in that I end up with a head and a butt, or half lengthwise?

TimeBomb
06-05-2015, 11:38 PM
I want to start this off by saying that I don't have much experience with this. But I tend to do an unbelievable amount of reading, so here's my regurge of information I've considered reputable lol.

It seems like it'd be best to start of with a pinky head about a week after the regurge. If they take that, feed them another pinky head at the next scheduled feeding time, and if they're holding that down then up to one pinky for the next two or three feeding sessions.

In general, it's pretty hard to starve a reptile in comparison to getting it into an overfeeding/regurge situation. If you feed it a week after it COULD have held down food, you're in much less danger than if you fed it a day before. As long as it's getting a little sustenance, a snake will tend to slow down and somewhat match its energy expenditure to its energy intake. Actively searching for food is usually a good sign as well though, so take that with a grain of salt!

-Travis