PDA

View Full Version : Past worried sick. Help with too much heat pleaseee.

Past worried sick. Help with too much heat pleaseee.

Jupiter
06-14-2015, 02:10 AM
So I have searched these forums and a lot of the Internet, and I've found varying degrees of answers, so I'm asking here to confirm.

Apparently it's VERY bad to have temps above 85 degrees.
I've read that 87-89 can yield the snake temporarily (or permanently) infertile, and increases the chance of respiratory infections. Also, that a constant heat of 90 or more (for as little as a few hours) can easily be fatal.

A very long and unfortunate story short: I have virtually no air conditioning in my house right now and the temps have been climbing to the mid to high 80's. And there's nothing I can do about it for at least 2 months.

I'm fine with it, it's a bit uncomfortable, but I'm completely ok with everything BUT the potential health concerns it will bring my snake. So I suppose my questions are: Are the things I've read on the Internet anywhere close to true? And what can I do (in detail please) to cool the temps in his Viv?

Other than getting AC, and moving the Viv. It's in the coolest possible place in the house and will be breaking 85-90 in the next few days I suspect.

Any and all advice is greatly GREATLY appreciated, so if you have any advice at all, please reply, and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will get back within hours,mid not sooner. Thanks a million, idk what I'd do without these forums in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jupiter
06-14-2015, 02:12 AM
if not more quickly*

Shiari
06-14-2015, 02:21 AM
Maybe try providing a moist hide that you put in the fridge for a little bit?

Do remember, these guys are *native* to the east coast. There are corns outside dealing with the heat. Lots of substrate can help insulate the snake away from the heat, and a box of damp moss or eco-earth to burrow into will probably be appreciated.

TimeBomb
06-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Like Shiari said, remember that corns can see temperatures much higher. I lived in SW Florida for a year and saw cornsnakes moving around during summer days where it was easily 95º and high humidity. I'm sure they were looking for a cool place to hunker down 'til night time, but there is a whole line of Florida Keys corns, and the Keys are miserable in the summer. ;)

I've heard of people using frozen/cold water bottles wrapped in a towel on the cool side of the viv. Seems like it'd work good to me, but I have central air. :D

-Travis

Jupiter
06-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to wait and see how hot it gets today, but I have several cold gel packs waiting to be utilized, and I'm going to put another water bowl in his cage, and give him another hide or two to make super sure he can get wherever is the coolest. Although he loves burrowing around, so idk if more hides are necessary, but I'm going to put them in there anyways. Thanks again [emoji2]