PDA

View Full Version : What is the maximum ratio for a 20 gallon long glass tank?

What is the maximum ratio for a 20 gallon long glass tank?

Sean22
08-22-2004, 12:10 AM
one male with how many females?

red_nan
08-22-2004, 04:50 AM
one tank, one snake. read the threads using the search-way too much harm can come from housing more than one. spread of disease, cannibalism, fighting over food, fighting over hids, fighting in breeding season, unheathly underage breeeding, unexpected breeding. get and read the corn snake manule by bill & kathy love before getting a snake.

Sean22
08-22-2004, 02:48 PM
sorry this was a question for mice
....thats why i put it in the feeder thread...

magick-bears
08-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I have done 1.5 in a tub with approximately the same floor space as a 20 gallon aquarium. I would not recommend more then that. I have actually cut my feeder colonies down to 1.3 and have better production ratios then with the higher number of girls. This is mostly because the more females you have the bigger the chance of them having babies at different times. I know with many breeders this is supposedly not a problem. However, from my experience if I have litters that are more then 5 days apart in age the younger babies end up not getting fed and are either very weak and scroney babies or they simple starve to death :(

Just my $0.03
Jeff C

red_nan
08-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Sean-i'm so sorry-that was my mistake i was wrong-i will try to stop posting anything on nights when i can't sleep

Sean22
08-22-2004, 08:24 PM
lol ty for your answers

i have 1:5 in ten gallon tanks

but i am takin the pinkies out as soon as there born for my snakes

Taceas
08-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I currently house a 1:7 in a 20 gallon long. It was a 1:5, but with the introduction of a new replacement male in one colony (wild snake ate mine) he did not get along with the adult females and killed several newborns.

So I gave him 4 6-week old females and broke up the colony of adult females between my other two colonies. I also separated the babies into 2 categories, pinks and fuzzies and above. One colony of adults got the pinks, the other the older babies. They don't seem to mind so long as they have something.

So I've now got:
a 1:4 in a regular 20-gal
a 1:7 in a 20-gal long
and another 1:7 in a 30 gallon thats about 6 inches longer than the 20-long

I'm hoping to get all of my colonies set up in 20-gal longs. They're easier to clean as they're not as high on the sides. And when you're short to begin with and they're on a table, reaching over to scoop out is a pain. =P

I think so long as they're not stepping or tripping over one another they should be ok. I've noticed mine seem to have a lot better emotional health when there's more in the tank. They don't like being in this big empty void alone, or nearly alone, so the more tankmates they have the healthier they seem all around. I guess I can't say that I blame them much.

Just remember, the more you have per tank, the more frequently you have to clean due to smell and waste. Their urine contains quite a bit of ammonia, and in a closed off container without good ventilation that ammonia buildup can quickly spell death for mice.

Hope that helps a little.