PDA

View Full Version : stuck to duck tape!

stuck to duck tape!

j.lingle
07-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Horrible accident. My corn is about 1 year old. Late last night I noticed her whole body was stuck to duck tape I had used to cover a seam open in the screen! I tried water and that did nothing. Then I read to use oil. So I did. It was expensive safflower oil. It took forever but managed to get her off the tape. I tried not to pull but I had to slowly because it would not loosen. I noticed some what looked like small tears! She was very agitated so I let her go back in her viv. She hasn't been seen today but that's normal. I'm going to get her out and remove her aspen bedding switching to paper towels. I read to soak her in a weak betadine (sp?) solution and apply Bactroban to the sore areas. Will she live? I'll watch for infection and take her to the vet if she does look infected. I'm also worried because her head was also stuck upside down partially almost covering 1 eye. I was worried she couldn't breath. Do they breathe out of their mouths as well? Anyway, anyone have any other advice or horror stories turned successes? Please help????

Zeina
07-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Try not to panic too much.
You may want to take her to the vet right away, in case a more serious injury isn't immediately evident.
Remove any and all tape- Never ever use it inside a tank, as you can see what happens
I know a couple people on here have had this happen, trying searching and seeing what threads come up.
I'm not a snake injury expert, but I think vet attention is necessary.
If the tape was stuck on her eye, it could damage it or blind her.
Good luck with your baby, I hope she will be well soon!

DollysMom
07-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't add to what Zeina recommended, but best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from your snake's tape encounter.

Chip
07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Can you get a good, clear picture without bothering her too much? That will determine whether she needs to see a vet or not. After a decade of reading posts on this message board, I am not an advocate of taking slightly injured snakes to the vet, unless you have one of the rare ones who specializes in reptiles. I've lost count of how many snakes I've seen die that would have certainly recovered if it would have just been left alone. The tendency seems to be to prescribe "something," with lots of vets.

It stinks to learn lessons the hard way, but cages not meant for snakes are difficult to safely make escape proof. Critter Cages with the sliding locking top are what I always suggest (and use) as glass goes. Screen tops just aren't secure enough for babies.

j.lingle
07-29-2015, 10:55 PM
I got her viv all cleaned out and put paper towels down. Put her in the Betadine solution to soak for 20min. I tried to look at her closely. She's got no swollen or puffy, red areas. She was agitated so didn't have a good look. No blood on the paper towels. I've also made sure the temperature is on the high end of the scale. 85 degrees. I'll keep watching her closely. I too think I will keep an eye on her for a couple days to look for problems that might require a vet visit. Keeping my hopes up!��

Senusenu
07-30-2015, 04:26 AM
It stinks to learn lessons the hard way, but cages not meant for snakes are difficult to safely make escape proof. Critter Cages with the sliding locking top are what I always suggest (and use) as glass goes. Screen tops just aren't secure enough for babies.

I used mesh tops on a couple 15g tanks. My youngest snake at the time somehow got out of the same tank I had used for my snow- who had never escaped and spent countless hours cruising that inner ledge. But, somehow, Sutekh got out. The clips were still in place, there were no obvious gaps or holes, the screen wasn't crooked. It completely baffles me, still, how he got out.

My cat found him six weeks later when he came out of the air vent in my bedroom when we turned on the a/c. Luckily, my cats are kinda dumb and she just kept staring at him through the crack in the door next to the jamb and I got him before he could get hurt. He'd lost 2 grams but otherwise was perfectly fine.

When we moved, I tossed all the fish tanks. I have one 40g breeder reptile terrarium with a locking screen top with one snake, and everyone else is in a sterilite tub with locking handles. The tubs aren't the prettiest, but I feel way more confident that my snakes can't escape. It's also more convenient when it comes to heating, as I have them on heat cable now- it's cheaper in cost and in energy.

So, in short, I agree with Chip. If you can find a reptile specific tank (on craigslist perhaps) or try a tub with a locking lid, there will be less stress for you and your corn, and no need to juryrig anything to prevent escapes. A tub is cheap to acquire until you can get a reptile tank.

Good luck with your snake, hopefully there's nothing major, and a few sheds would minimize scarring if any of his scales were injured.

j.lingle
07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
I do have her in a Critter Cage with a slide in locking screen lid. The problem is that the cage has seen some ware and the screen has come away at the front edge. I should have ordered a new lid when I got my new snake, Jewel. I am ordering one this week. Thanks for your comments and advise guys!