PDA

View Full Version : Hissing Wheeze?

Hissing Wheeze?

jagodzinski
08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
About my snake: 6 years old, no major health concerns. Appropriate heating. Not too humid although recently added a humid hide box at the recommendation of my vet to help her shed better as her last few have been rough and left her scales irritated.

About 1 year ago I noticed after being handled for at least 10 minutes if I hold her head up to my ear I can hear her exhale and it sounds like someone (a human) making the "SSSS" sound. So I brought her to the vet suspecting RI despite no other symptoms. Vet didn't seem concerned.

Today, for the first time in a while I noticed it. No crusty, gaping mouth, discharge or any other symptoms of RI. She just went to vet a couple weeks ago for shedding problem and he did a standard exam and other than the rough scales found nothing else.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Should be go back to the vet?

hypnoctopus
08-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Is she in blue right now? Occasionally they will get a bit wheezy during the shedding process.

jagodzinski
08-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Possibly. She spend yesterday in the humidity hide, but she hasn't had any obvious signs (ie. getting milky yet) and because she is an amel I can't use the eyes as an indicator. She isn't really due for a shed yet but she may shed anyways because I read snakes can shed earlier to clear up a poor last shed.

Another thing I was thinking about was earlier today she was extending her neck up (which I read they might do when they have trouble breathing.) Some now I am very worried its an RI. Should I take out the humidity hide box?

hypnoctopus
08-03-2015, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't be too worried yet. Have you taken a look inside her mouth? You can use the flat side of a safety pin (closed, obviously) to carefully open her mouth and see what it looks like in there. If she's been hiding more than normal, she's probably beginning to go blue. Even with an amel, you can use the eyes and the belly scales as an early indicator of shedding. The eyes will begin to look more dull, but usually the first thing I notice is dull looking belly scales.

I have never heard of the extending neck thing. I would leave the humid hide in there. She can use it if she wants, but she can leave if it's making her uncomfortable.

Other people with more experience with RIs can offer their opinions, but I would simply leave her alone for a few days. That way, it will be obvious if she's in blue or not, and if she is not in blue in a few days, then maybe peek into her mouth.