PDA

View Full Version : Double slugging clutch with regurg :( snake looks very sad!

Double slugging clutch with regurg :( snake looks very sad!

Ravenessa
08-03-2015, 11:45 AM
So I got a female this spring that was bred last year but not this year. She came home, she settled in.. a few months bad she laid 4 slugs, ok no surprise I know that can happen. She did shed a few days before it happened, she was a little running around, I didn't put in a lay box, I should have had, but I did't lesson learned.

Either way, I keep feeding, thinking that even though they were not viable eggs it still must have taken a toll right?

Last night she started moving again, and I smelled a faint odor from her box. So I was like Ok, she wants to get out because it's a little smelly. So I took her out to clean this morning and low and behold, it was 8 more slugs. Small thank God, and freshly laid BUT there was also a regurg from when I fed her 4 days ago.. :(

And Thank God I fed her a little heavier due to the first slugging, but this.. she def looks thinner right now, and with a regurg and most likely do another post shed? (she didn't do any pre shed this time). Blah.. :(

So where can I order the pro biotics someone was talking about?

I am gonna wait the 2 weeks and then offer her a small meal and rebuild her again but I feel so sorry for her..

What is the odds that I can expect her to do this next year? No other snake has done any slugging for me, but I only have one other female who was bred last year and she didn't slug either..

What would your recommendations be? treating this snake like she is always preggers during seasons just in case? See this is why I don't like the idea of breeding.. if I had known this could happen I would have fed her small items until she did slugg a second time..

I searched the internet for double slugging care but couldn't find anything..

Any recommendations would be very appreciated <3

LauRuffian
08-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Poor baby! I would definitely follow Kathy Love's regurg protocol on this. I don't knows out probiotics, but a little dusting with vitamin powder wouldn't hurt. My 13yro lays eggs every spring now, bred or not, so I treat her as gravid every time. BTW she's been my only regurg--happened when I gave her too big a meal when she was gravid. Ugh. I followed the regurg protocol and she and her babies to be were fine soon enough.

My lavender was definitely appearing about to double clutch this year when she reabsorbed the eggs. Her appetite as I think you read was all wonky, but I just got her to eat the rejected pinkie of one of her pickier kids the other day. Seems she needs to be eased back into meals.

Sorry I don't have anything more to offer, but you do have my sympathies! Hope she's already doing better.

Ravenessa
08-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Thank you... she hasn't moved for a few days,, she is just resting on her hot spot..
I haven't taken her out to handle either. I am hoping just a break will make her feel better. I am gonna clean them all today and look at her. And yes I always follow that protocol, I will actually just start with a small fuzzy to begin with for her when it's time and yes I am gonna dip it in vitamin powder at least. Sucks when this happens and thank you for the tip, for sure next year I am gonna treat her as preggers and keep her on smaller more frequent meals over the whole summer. I don't want to see this ever again :(

Ravenessa
08-15-2015, 10:55 PM
So I spoke to Tavia, and she calmed my fears. Snowwhite went into post shed, I left her be, and I fed her a small hopper yesterday. Since I had no clue about double slugging I fed her on a normal level, because after the first slugg out she only lost 3 grams. So I didn't think much of it so I fed her an adult every 10 days.. Now after the second one, a whole 65 gram and she's only about 256 now. She looks ok though, still muscly.. but def a little thinner :( I have learned a valuable lesson regarding female and slugging, and have learnt to start feeling for eggs instead.

And next season I am just gonna feed her smaller meals more frequently and just be cautios as all heck.

This was def more than a little scary.. she was bred last season, Tavia said that since she wasn't bred this season that she may not slug next year and I truly hope that is the case.

What is the signs of a female about to slug? Snow didn't do a huge difference in weight gain, not in girth either.. can you guys just tell by appearance? behavior? experience (guessing the last part).

DollysMom
08-16-2015, 08:42 AM
I was reading a lot about regurges so I got some a while ago to have on hand just in case. You can get Nutribac here:

http://beanfarm.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Nutribac&x=0&y=0

Ravenessa
08-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Thank you! That is what I wanted to order!! <3