PDA

View Full Version : Just a question...

Just a question...

Ravenessa
08-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Is it bad to feed an adult every 7 days as opposed to a jumbo every 10-14?
It is easier for me to stick to my feeding schedules, since most of them eat every 7 days compared to the hatchlings that eat every 5.. Even though the two I have is being bumped up to two pinkies today, and hopefully soon after that on fuzzies, and I start doing every 7 days on fuzzies instead of 6. It just gets easier to keep all the snakes on the same routine, meanwhile if I do the others every 10 days I get thrown off and sometimes miss their feeding and I dont like that... What is healthier for them? is jumbo healthier or it doesn't matter as long as the shape of the snake is ok? At leats until all my snakes are big, then I can switch them all to every 10 days.. it's the whole remember thing here going on.. I don't know what I'd do without Iherp and all my notes. (I have to write in the calendar to feed or I will mix up the days)

Nanci
08-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I feed my adults every two weeks. Males get anything from a large weanling to a medium adult, usually something in the 20-22 gram range, and females get medium adults (24-26 grams) or 20-22 if I am out of mediums.

I have, in the past, fed males a large adult mouse every three weeks, and females a medium adult mouse every two weeks, but as you say, it's easier to just stick to a rotating schedule. I also feel like the snakes' gut bacteria stays more active with more frequent feedings. There's no way I'd feed a normal, not-breeding female weekly- she would only need that frequent of a meal if you were feeding weanlings or smaller, or if she was gravid, or if she was recovering from laying. My males would all be 1000 gram porkers if they were fed weekly!

Ravenessa
08-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I have to figure something out... Hmm.. thank you for your elaborate response I got some mathematics and thinking to do <3

MysticExotics
08-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Nanci is very good about detailed responses.
I feed less often like Nanci does.
I will feed females that are recovering from laying eggs weekly, (smaller meals) until they get back to weight.

Nanci
08-17-2015, 04:22 PM
If you have younger adults (under 400 grams) and are feeding smaller mice, every 10 days would be fine. I used to have a 10-day group which matched up with every other feeding of my 5 day babies, but then it just all got to be too many groups!! So now the young ones stay on weekly feeds a bit longer before going to two weeks. Boys, about 200 grams, girls, about 250.