PDA

View Full Version : Could use some opinions on weight...

Could use some opinions on weight...

zazoo31
08-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Our corn, Alberto--has always been an exceptional eater. At first we realized we were not feeding him large enough mice, then we played catch up. He is now 3 1/2 years old and I weighed him yesterday after he was fed and he is now 818 grams (big boy). We feed him a large adult every ten days. He starts roving his cage a day or two before we feed and always gobbles food. He has been like this though since we got him as a baby.

Is that too large, are we overfeeding him? I did think about posting a photo but I can't as we just fed him last night. I would appreciate any thoughts and if I need to wait to show a photo, I can do that.

hypnoctopus
08-20-2015, 01:37 AM
I think seeing the body shape will give a much better indication of his health than just a number. That being said, my largest girl is in the 700 gram range and she is a healthy weight. I can't imagine her being any bigger. I sometimes give her a large adult, but usually she gets a medium adult every other week (and sometimes she gets a mouse on her off week if another snake refuses their meal).

jagodzinski
08-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I a agree that a picture would be helpful. Its hard to say whether or not that is an appropriate weight because just like humans, ideal weight is going to vary with length and thickness. A common analogy used is a tenting shape is underweight, a loaf of bread shape is healthy weight and a round shape is overweight.

zazoo31
08-20-2015, 01:07 PM
I think he looks round :( Will have to wait a few days now.

MysticExotics
08-20-2015, 01:28 PM
If he looks round, he's probably overweight.

The bread analogy is perfect for deciding if your snake is appropriate weight.
Some Corns are just bigger, and it can be genetics.

I had a coral snow who was huge, she was just a big girl. I currently have her daughter, another Coral Snow, who is following in her footsteps.

The largest Corn I have seen (in person) was a Snow male, that was 1,100 grams. He was fed rats, and was not obese, but he was overweight.
It is just as unhealthy for them as it is for us.

I would drop his prey size down and space out feedings to every 2 or 3 weeks.

zazoo31
08-30-2015, 01:56 PM
I actually have no choice but to lower his feedings. My regular supplier went out of business and the other place I found (in a hurry) only has adult mice, not jumbos--which was what we were feeding him. He is due for another feed but he went blue and hasn't shed so I am in a holding pattern. I do not want to disturb him yet, but once he sheds I will weigh him again and get some pictures.

Nanci
08-30-2015, 07:35 PM
He sounds huge, to me. My largest males are in the 600 gram range. Their weights go up and down depending on prey size, feeding frequency, etc. I think they are healthier when they are lighter and more muscular, not fat and blobby. I feed them every two weeks, and the males get anything from a large weanling to a medium adult mouse- so something in the 19-24 gram range, but usually in the 20-22 gram range.

zazoo31
09-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Ok, finally...

He is 822 grams tonight. He is 4' 12" long. I fed him an adult mouse tonight that is 20 grams. I am out of jumbos. I am trying to post a couple of pictures so you can see his shape.

zazoo31
09-11-2015, 11:12 PM
He has been getting jumbos every 10 days for about six months. I lost my source (they closed) and the reptile shop I visited only had adults. As you can see, no noticeable bump--this was taken after he ate, prior to returning him to his viv. He is a very enthusiastic eater--gobbles every mouse that has been placed in front of him since we got him as a baby.

If someone could give me a bit of advice, I would appreciate it. If he is overweight, how many days should I go between feeds--taking into account he is on adults not jumbos?

Thank you all for your help. :)

zazoo31
09-11-2015, 11:16 PM
One last thing, Berto is 3 1/2 years old--don't know if that helps...

MysticExotics
09-12-2015, 01:06 AM
He looks to be a little overweight.
Maybe space out his feedings to every 2 or 3 weeks.

Karl_Mcknight
09-12-2015, 06:02 AM
4' 12'' is 5 ft.

hypnoctopus
09-12-2015, 10:06 AM
I agree that he looks overweight. Once corn snakes are adults, you don't need to be feeding them a mouse that will leave a lump. That guideline is more for growing babies and juveniles.

kdickens
09-12-2015, 01:25 PM
4' 12'' is 5 ft.

Just trying to keep you on your toes!

zazoo31
09-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. He is already down a size so I will extend the time between feedings.

Karl, LOL--I just grabbed that off the snake size app--how embarrassing. :)