• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding?

kdickens

I Yam What I Yam
I just got my Reverse Okeetee last Tuesday, about 3 days ago. I offered him his first meal today which he refused. :cry: I'm wondering if he's in shed? Since he has red eyes I can't use that trick. Is there a way to tell? I'll try to feed him again maybe on Sunday if it's not a shedding issue. I'm not too concerned about him not eating ... yet. Here's a pic and the eyes do look a bit funny, but that may be from the flash.
shed_zpslaxzvrr3.png

His eyes do look a bit cloudy. When they're young they shed a lot and usually don't eat during the time. What's his behaviour been like? When mines is about to shed he sticks to his hot side and never moves, just stays hidden and warm [emoji4] so something else to look out for!

Hope that helps a wee bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be hard to tell when an amel is in shed, however their eyes do turn a cloudy pink, which is what it looks like in the picture you provided. My amel becomes extremely reclusive when in shed. i.e finds one comfortable spot and doesn't leave it for up to a week. I have a viv cam set up that records 24/7, and during shed he doesn't even roam around during the night. Same spot, all the time.

Thanks!

Thanks sian.kelly and Haight! I'm hoping that's the case and it's not that he's just 'not eating'! Hopefully he'll shed and then eat okay.

I wouldn't worry. I'll eat my socks if those eyes of his aren't blue. It's amazing the behavior changes that shed brings. It's like having two different snakes!

Now what?

After%20shed%209-6-15_zpsfupzowjr.jpg
...DollysMom
, guess you won't need to eat your socks. He shed last night! But .... still won't eat. Tried this morning. Maybe wait a couple more days? I'm offering a small pinkie but no luck. Might put him in a small bag with it next time. ** sigh ** This pic is from this morning after his shed.

Wow, I'm sorry to,hear that he didn't eat! He is absolutely beautiful after shedding.

i wish I could offer something on that front, but so far mine has eaten every time food is offered. Best wishes.

P.S. I just added this because I just thought of it. Do you usually feed in the evening? If so it may be a time of day thing. I added this because even though I've always found the shed in the morning, I always wait for he evening to feed. I feed between 5 pm and 7 pm, the exact time depending on when I see my snake "hunting". This time it was 5 pm because the poor little guy had been hunting all afternoon!

Since this hasn't been mentioned....some snakes are extremely shy about eating....Sometimes covering them up with a towel or whatever and getting them out of light will prompt a feed....it's the only way my snake would feed for almost 10 years...and while my new one is wild, last time I fed it , it didn't eat until I fell asleep...(it watches me all day long)....LOL.

Thanks!

P.S. I just added this because I just thought of it. Do you usually feed in the evening? If so it may be a time of day thing. I added this because even though I've always found the shed in the morning, I always wait for he evening to feed. I feed between 5 pm and 7 pm, the exact time depending on when I see my snake "hunting". This time it was 5 pm because the poor little guy had been hunting all afternoon!

Thanks for your note! I had also thought of this, because of them being nocturnal and all. Might be a help. I'm going to try tomorrow night. I have a couple ideas I'm working on from researching this forum.

Thanks for your note! I had also thought of this, because of them being nocturnal and all. Might be a help. I'm going to try tomorrow night. I have a couple ideas I'm working on from researching this forum.

Good luck. Yes, there are a lot of good ideas here if he still doesn't eat. Keep us posted. The help and support is here if you need it, but I hope you don't.

The Lastest ....

Okay, here's what happened. Around 5 pm I tried once again to just offer a small pinkie to him, which he refused. Then I tried 'teasing' him hoping he would strike. Nothing. I tried this for quite a while. Then I brained the small pinkie and offered it again. Nothing. By now I'm past getting frustrated. I put my snake (by the way, his name is Loopy) in a small paper lunch sack with the pinkie and closed it up tight. Then I put it in his viv on the warm side and left it for 2 hours. When I opened up the bag .... the pinkie was gone! Let me tell you, no one is more surprised than me. So for now, he at least has some calories in him and I'm hoping he'll keep it down. He should, it was a small meal. Whew!
:crazy02:

Okay, here's what happened. Around 5 pm I tried once again to just offer a small pinkie to him, which he refused. Then I tried 'teasing' him hoping he would strike. Nothing. I tried this for quite a while. Then I brained the small pinkie and offered it again. Nothing. By now I'm past getting frustrated. I put my snake (by the way, his name is Loopy) in a small paper lunch sack with the pinkie and closed it up tight. Then I put it in his viv on the warm side and left it for 2 hours. When I opened up the bag .... the pinkie was gone! Let me tell you, no one is more surprised than me. So for now, he at least has some calories in him and I'm hoping he'll keep it down. He should, it was a small meal. Whew!
:crazy02:

Sounds to me like he has stage fright. I am glad that he finally ate. I'm not sure how much I would like it if my baby was a picky eater. He doesn't hesitate to eat anything that is put in front of him.

Do like I suggested....and either put it in a feeding cage...or cover the viv....and offer a real meal.....I wasn't kidding about some being shy....being in the dark gives them the confidence to eat.....(remember.....they are extremely vulnerable with a mouthful of food)....

Well, even though the paper bag trick isn't always successful, I'm thankful it was tonight. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and ideas!

I'm sorry to hijack your post, but I wanted to say that I hope this information helps. I got my 12 year old corn snake yesterday and the lady I got it from said he was ready to eat. However, I did notice that she (I'm assuming it's a she because she is nearly 4 feet long) was hanging low all day today, not leaving her hiding spot. Her eyes did look clouded over and I'm no snake expert but her scales looked like they had a cloudy hue to them. As I was anxiously waiting for her to eat, she didn't look at all interested. So I should wait until after shedding to feed her? Is she perhaps shy from being transferred to a new home? She seemed otherwise very healthy and eager to learn her new owners.
Thanks!

Some snakes eat even through a shed, but most people (when they see their snake is 'in shed') will wait till the shed is complete before starting to feed again.

You should wait till the snake sheds to feed it. Out in the wild, a blue snake is hiding away, not out hunting for a meal.

Back