PDA

View Full Version : Choking on Water!?

Choking on Water!?

_Sam_
09-06-2015, 01:35 AM
Holy crap. I could use some help here. Has anyone ever heard of a snake choking on water before? I heard a loud, deep retching and jumped out of my bed , thinking one of my dogs was about to puke. When I noticed both of my dogs were in my room, staring at me like I was crazy, I ran in to my animal room right across from my room, thinking it was the rabbit...turns out, it was my adult ball python! I had filled his water bowl with fresh water maybe 30 minutes earlier. He is positioned over his water bowl like he had been drinking, but he is thrashing his head around, water, saliva, and bubbles coming out of both his mouth and nostrils. After a few more moments, he seemed totally fine. I got him out and attempted to look inside of his mouth, but he fought me pretty hard. Even though he is a smaller adult, he is so strong and I found myself struggling to restrain him properly. From what I could see, his mouth looked healthy and pink, so I don't think it's mouth rot/infection. I have just never heard of this before. Thoughts? I'm worried about him aspirating and dying from this, but he is acting totally fine now.

Nanci
09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
I don't know what that was all about. I _do_ know, from humans, that water is the only "safe" thing to aspirate, especially if it was very fresh. I've heard of snakes drinking, and then regarding, but that's not what's going on with yours. I would just keep a close eye on him.

_Sam_
09-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm having a fearless friend come over to help me restrain him later to get a good look inside of his mouth. If it's an RI, I'm supposed to be looking for bubbles/mucus, yes? And pale or discolored gums?

Karl_Mcknight
09-06-2015, 10:28 AM
I doubt a snake would choke on water, but I am not a vet.

On the other hand, a snake with bubbles and mucous coming from his nose and mouth, and possibly coughing and thrashing would make me think of a bad head cold (Respiratory infection.) I had a Boa years ago that "Caught a cold" and I took her to the vet. The vet confirmed it and gave her a shot of antibiotics. She was fine in a few days.

_Sam_
09-06-2015, 10:38 AM
One shot was all it took? Not a series? I am used to treating respiratory infections in rats, and they need to be on it a minimum of 2 weeks. One injection certainly sounds a lot more affordable though, as well as less stressful to the snake...if I see anything more that looks/sounds like RI, I will see if I can get him in to the vet tomorrow.

Dragonling
09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I have a coworker who swears his bearded dragon choked on water. Said he found him head down in a small water dish. :/ Idk, humans don't -often- choke to death but it does happen...perhaps it does in other animals as well.

_Sam_
09-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Ok! Finally got a look in his mouth. I didn't see any mucus persay, but perhaps a little more bubbles than normal? So maybe it is a RI after all. I know this isn't the best picture, but what do you guys think? You may have to zoom in a little bit. http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b485/KelseyRG/11951510_10153293607648791_673451921229808395_o_zp sci0l9re5.jpg

daddio207
09-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Your snake probably just drank to much water and puked it up.
Based on your pic, he does not appear to have an RI. Bubbles would be coming out of the trachea (breathing tube) not his throat.
I don't recommend using Q tips unless the ends are removed because the ball end fibers can get stuck in their teeth.
How's he doing ?